Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Hesitation problem / 4x2 drive (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=68212)

NCS XC90 Mar 10th, 2009 18:15

Hesitation problem / 4x2 drive

I must admit I may have to stop reading this forum as its turning me into a hypochondriac. I keep going out and check my car for faults which seem to be on everyone else’s. Today I have been under it with the front wheels up in the air and turned the drive shaft and found that the front wheels did spin round. So it looks like I have 4x4 thank god. I must admit I cannot feel it when I drive it even when going around corners quick as some have described. The weather has not been that bad around here that I have needed it.
With regards to the hesitation problem does it manifest itself as just slow to move off or starts to move and then dies for a few seconds before it picks up. Or does it take a few seconds for the revs to rise after you put your foot down. I have a 53 plate diesel (so it’s the small 163bhp model) running through an automatic box. On a car of this size with diesel and an auto box I cannot really complain about pick up from standstill. Yes I have modified my driving technique to cope with the car but I think this is more to do with auto gearboxes (I have to modify my driving on both my parents Jaguars and again it seems to be because of the auto boxes).
I must admit that I am very happy with my car up to now. In fact its the best I have had. There are a few things but it is getting on to be 6 years old so will accept a few things. Hope those that are having problems get them resolved to their satisfaction.

Neil

AB-UK Mar 10th, 2009 18:51

Neil,
If you have the opportunity, take the Grand Cherokee for a test drive.
Floor the accelerator as you would when exiting from a junction into a gap in traffic and compare the response to that of your XC90 (same as mine I might add).
I know it is a 3.0 litre diesel v. our 2.4, but bhp is not entirely the solution - it is the way the power is transferred to the gears and thence to the drive wheels.

NCS XC90 Mar 11th, 2009 13:48

Hi AB-UK thanks for the reply,
Thanks for the tip about trying the jeep a may just try that. I guess one of my problems is that I don't drive the car fast. I usually just go to work and back which is 7 miles away and the car only get warm when I'm 3/4 of the way their and I still average 30.3mpg so that should give an indication of the speed I drive at.
I tried this morning to go a bit quicker out of the junctions and I was quite surprised that the car could shift so quickly given as I said its bulk, the fact that it’s a diesel and just for good measure an automatic as well. However I did not put my foot flat down to come out of junctions (I actually don't think I've done that yet in the Volvo). When you put your foot flat down in an automatic does this not induce kick down which from my experience in other automatics (jaguar XJs and X types) usually causes a brief delay which is then followed by the acceleration you are looking for (to overtake for example). I always found the kick down a bit naff as the delay was always apparent and my main reason for not wanting an auto on the XC90 I bought (but I do find myself quite liking the auto now I have it). Is it a kick down hesitation we are on about that just takes longer than other kick downs? I’ll try that tonight. I’m guessing that because I am struggling to understand the issue I am probably don’t have the problem but would like to be clear on what this is if it comes along.
Of cause all these things are subjective and what one man can live with another may feel is dangerous but given the feeling on the forum about this matter I don’t think it’s likely to be different tolerance levels.
I also know that given the feeling and reading some of the other threads I am leaving myself open to a deluge of abuse but I am looking for constructive explanation of the sysmptoms – ie hesitation in what way and is it only in certain conditions.
Ta,
Neil

RoyMacDonald Mar 11th, 2009 14:12

I've always assumed that the delay must be longer than the couple of seconds it would take to change gear manually, say 3 seconds or more.

Any one with the delay like to post how long they think it lasts?

It would be interesting to see if it's a consistant length or varies.

All the best.

Roy

Frank Mar 11th, 2009 15:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald (Post 475591)
I've always assumed that the delay must be longer than the couple of seconds it would take to change gear manually, say 3 seconds or more.

Any one with the delay like to post how long they think it lasts?

It would be interesting to see if it's a consistant length or varies.

All the best.

Roy

I have a MY05 163BHP and have noticed this hesitation effect. In my case the delay or hesitation is fairly slight - probably about 1 second before the engine reacts to the throttle when pulling away. I am aware of this and therefore make allowances with my driving.
Frank

4wheeldriver Mar 11th, 2009 17:13

Mine varies from a second or so to couple of seconds and occassionally will start moving THEN hesitate once you are in the path of oncoming traffic. Have 5 seperate witnesses who have experienced this in the car with me at various times. Only way to get it to go after that is dent the floor with the throttle pedal!! It does go the mind you.

RoyMacDonald Mar 11th, 2009 17:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4wheeldriver (Post 475666)
Mine varies from a second or so to couple of seconds and occassionally will start moving THEN hesitate once you are in the path of oncoming traffic. Have 5 seperate witnesses who have experienced this in the car with me at various times. Only way to get it to go after that is dent the floor with the throttle pedal!! It does go the mind you.

Do you only get the second hesitation when you are in the path of oncoming traffic or does it happen in a car park, say, as well? This may sound like an odd question but the reason I ask is because time perception changes in response to a situation perceived as dangerous, and we have a kind of increased sampling rate in such a situation. I'm interested in the actual delay as opposed to the perceived delay if you see what I mean.

All the best.

Roy

4wheeldriver Mar 11th, 2009 17:32

Ive only had the go then stop on about 5 or 6 occassions but it is pretty random where it does it. It has done it in the local shop car park but there's less desperation to move there so eventually it does go again with more gas but when it does go it still leaps forward with a surge in the revs! Again delay can be anything between 1 and 2 seconds depending on the extra gas it requires you to feed through the pedal. The day with the bus incident it went to the floor and I prayed it would catch but would reckon took sameish time to go. Mechanic in Shrewsbury DID notice hesitation once but then he was being hard on it to hear the knocking from under the bonnet that day.

Frank Mar 11th, 2009 18:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4wheeldriver (Post 475666)

Fortunately I have never experienced this 2nd hesitation after the car has started to move. I would be like you and very worried if this was the case.
Frank

Clan Mar 11th, 2009 19:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by AB-UK (Post 475198)
Neil,
If you have the opportunity, take the Grand Cherokee for a test drive.
Floor the accelerator as you would when exiting from a junction into a gap in traffic and compare the response to that of your XC90 (same as mine I might add).
I know it is a 3.0 litre diesel v. our 2.4, but bhp is not entirely the solution - it is the way the power is transferred to the gears and thence to the drive wheels.

The highlighted part above is part of the reason ,
if you take off with small throttle and as it starts to move press down further but slowly but progressivly as you get moving you will find it takes off alot better ... Its aknack yes but try it ..