Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Lack of camera - will I regret it? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=270809)

sammyblackbaron Jul 25th, 2017 10:53

Lack of camera - will I regret it?

I have the option of buying a new in stock XC90 Momentum with no options fitted. I think I'm correct in saying that this means there will be no reverse camera.

Does anyone have an XC90 without cameras and if so, do you regret it?

Thanks in advance

KNVXC90 Jul 25th, 2017 11:12

Not sure if your spec has cameras or not, but I wouldn't buy a car this size, without cameras. Its preferable to get the 360 view camera. Makes parking this car so easy and effortless.

NandM Jul 25th, 2017 11:32

Completely agree on the 360 camera and not just for parking. Over the last couple of days it's enabled me to cross over a very tight bridge and to traverse though a ridiculous overcrowded over-flow car park where the rule seems to have been: "find any space and park in it"!

Quacker Jul 25th, 2017 11:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by sammyblackbaron (Post 2301267)
I have the option of buying a new in stock XC90 Momentum with no options fitted. I think I'm correct in saying that this means there will be no reverse camera.

Thanks in advance

It will have reverse parking sensors, which are almost essential. Although a reversing camera is desirable and useful, and so are surround cameras, if you have never had them you will not miss them. I've driven dozens of cars over the years without cameras. In fact cameras were not really commonplace until about five years ago on new cars. We managed.

Try for a good discount on the car, whose price already reflects its specification of course.

Fairly confident that a rear camera can be fitted as an accessory, either the Volvo genuine equipment or one off eBay if it is a deal killer. Ask the dealer.

Lexman8 Jul 25th, 2017 11:38

A car this size really needs a camera. I've driven an XC90 without the 360 camera and really missed it.

Quacker Jul 25th, 2017 12:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lexman8 (Post 2301284)
A car this size really needs a camera. I've driven an XC90 without the 360 camera and really missed it.

If he's coming from a more compact car that may be true. In my case I have come from driving a lot of large cars without cameras, latterly X5, Range Rover, ML, and Q7 plus my faithful Land Cruiser Amazon. All had/have rear or rear/front parking sensors though, which is all you [I] really need.

All my current cars apart from the LC and Ranger do have cameras though and I really do wish that the above had them too, but only because they are my main towing vehicles and rear camera makes hitching up so very much easier single handed. My trailers are on and off three or four times a week on average, so how I have ended up with three vehicles that don't tow, with cameras, and the two I do tow with, without, is a mystery that grates.

nu11eaf Jul 25th, 2017 12:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by sammyblackbaron (Post 2301267)

Thanks in advance

The rear camera and 360 camera are both optional extras. Unless the spec has changed since I bought my 2017 MY XC90. I have owned 3 MK1 XC90's and none of them had reverse cameras and I managed with no problems at all with them with just the rear park assist beep but I think the 360° camera on my present XC90 is the bees knees.
I would option this every time as it is not just used for reversing and has indication lines from all 4 corners to so you can maneuver in tight spaces and has tow hitch lines to assist in hooking up to towbar, and warnings from every angle if you get too close to anything. You can also choose 360° view or front or rear or either side view. And has zoom.

Bernard F Jul 25th, 2017 12:37

I would say it's a must have as it's available. Ask the dealer if he can fit one before delivery. You will not regret it.

nu11eaf Jul 25th, 2017 13:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernard F (Post 2301319)
I would say it's a must have as it's available. Ask the dealer if he can fit one before delivery. You will not regret it.

The 360° camera are a factory fit only, as cameras are built into front grill, rear hatch and side mirrors and integrated into sensus system. And suspect rear only camera to be the same.

Torshen Jul 25th, 2017 13:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quacker (Post 2301279)
I've driven dozens of cars over the years without cameras. In fact cameras were not really commonplace until about five years ago on new cars. We managed.

Yes yes, and we all used to wind our windows up and down by hand, get up off our chairs to change channel on the TV, have phones that didn't have the internet and (not so long ago) be able to legally use those phones while driving.

The world changes. He's not buying a car in the past, he's buying it today.

Are cameras needed? I'm another vote for essential, and I'd go so far as to extend that to the 360. If mine didn't have the 360 my parking would take a lot longer and/or frequently be worse and potentially annoy other people.

If you get a discount on the car be very clear that you understand - you're getting that discount to inconvenience yourself for the time you own the vehicle. You'll be the one losing out. They'll effectively have paid you to put up with the hassle. And it is hassle, you just might not know it if you never had it in the first place / don't know you're missing it.