Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   C70 Roof problem (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=315695)

Geoff2222 Apr 2nd, 2021 16:22

C70 Roof problem

Hi. I have a C70, 2006 metal roof version. There's a fault on the roof.

It doesn't open fully. It gets as far as popping the roof into the boot but doesn't close the boot. I can finish the cycle by using the limp home mode.

On the close cycle, it closes nearly all the way, and then stops. Again, the limp home mode closes it eventually.

I'm hoping it might be something fairly simple, like adding more hydraulic fluid - probably a bit optimistic. :)

The battery is a bit low, as we haven't been using the car much. But, I charged the battery overnight, and the roof is still misbehaving.

I have had a bit of a leak into the nearside rear footwell. Enough water to cause some sloshing. I'll deal with that separately, but I thought I'd mention it in case it's relevant.

Clan Apr 2nd, 2021 17:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff2222 (Post 2724799)
Hi. I have a C70, 2006 metal roof version. There's a fault on the roof.

It doesn't open fully. It gets as far as popping the roof into the boot but doesn't close the boot. I can finish the cycle by using the limp home mode.

On the close cycle, it closes nearly all the way, and then stops. Again, the limp home mode closes it eventually.

I'm hoping it might be something fairly simple, like adding more hydraulic fluid - probably a bit optimistic. :)

The battery is a bit low, as we haven't been using the car much. But, I charged the battery overnight, and the roof is still misbehaving.

I have had a bit of a leak into the nearside rear footwell. Enough water to cause some sloshing. I'll deal with that separately, but I thought I'd mention it in case it's relevant.

The last sentence about water, if it's in the boot it is the worse news... the Hydraulic pump is behind the trim hump on the boot floor and wrapped with foam to baffle the noise so it soaks the pump all round and it rusts . Obviously it runs or the roof wouldn't work but check it out , see if you can save it ..

The roof problem is probably a broken wire in the roof loom on the left rear where it bends as the roof goes up and down .. It will need professional diagnostics to see which sensor is causing it .. In 90% of the cases its NOT the sensor but the wiring ..

Geoff2222 Apr 2nd, 2021 17:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2724814)
The last sentence about water, if it's in the boot it is the worse news... the Hydraulic pump is behind the trim hump on the boot floor and wrapped with foam to baffle the noise so it soaks the pump all round and it rusts . Obviously it runs or the roof wouldn't work but check it out , see if you can save it ..

The roof problem is probably a broken wire in the roof loom on the left rear where it bends as the roof goes up and down .. It will need professional diagnostics to see which sensor is causing it .. In 90% of the cases its NOT the sensor but the wiring ..

I'll double-check that the boot is completely dry, but last time I looked it seemed to be.

I'll also visually check the wiring loom. Is that by the left boot hinge?

Clan Apr 2nd, 2021 21:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff2222 (Post 2724820)
I'll double-check that the boot is completely dry, but last time I looked it seemed to be.

I'll also visually check the wiring loom. Is that by the left boot hinge?

yes in that area, you will need to cut the outer cover to visually examine the wires which are all black ! you need to do some tests between the indicated sensor and the fixed car end of the loom under the back seat

JohnM 855 T5R Apr 3rd, 2021 18:27

Pull back the trim in the right hand side of the boot to gain access to the roof control module. Pull the multipin connector and examine all the pins. Clean throughly, then reassemble. Water ingress or even high humidity is a known issue causing these pins to corrode.

My 2011 C70 Solstice was just 4 years old when I bought it as a Volvo Selekt car. After just a couple of months of ownership, the roof started to play all sorts of tricks, finally refusing to open at all. My local dealer (not the one I bought it from) went straight to the control module, cleaned up the pins on the connector which had gone green and bingo - everything was well again.

Worth a look as its very quick and simple.

John

Geoff2222 Apr 4th, 2021 20:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnM 855 T5R (Post 2725138)
Pull back the trim in the right hand side of the boot to gain access to the roof control module. Pull the multipin connector and examine all the pins. Clean throughly, then reassemble. Water ingress or even high humidity is a known issue causing these pins to corrode.

My 2011 C70 Solstice was just 4 years old when I bought it as a Volvo Selekt car. After just a couple of months of ownership, the roof started to play all sorts of tricks, finally refusing to open at all. My local dealer (not the one I bought it from) went straight to the control module, cleaned up the pins on the connector which had gone green and bingo - everything was well again.

John

Did you need to cut the trim to pull it back?

JohnM 855 T5R Apr 4th, 2021 21:25

No, you definitely don't need to cut the trim.

Regards
John

Tedders Jul 7th, 2021 16:22

Resuts?

Didi that work? Or, did you have to go to the dealer?

Tedders

Geoff2222 Jul 7th, 2021 18:02

Sorry, I meant to come back sooner and report.

The problem seems to have resolved itself since I took a number of steps.

I found that there was some water in the boot. I eventually managed to clear both the drainage channels. I also cleared out any dirt round the bottom of the rear window and thoroughly cleaned the seal round the boot.

So far as I can see, no more water has been getting in.

The foam around the roof hydraulic pump was saturated with water. I took that off and took it in the house to dry.

I also removed the boot liner, as far as possible and took that in the house.

That coincided with a hot dry spell of weather, so I left the boot open for a while to dry out.

I also found that the rear nearside footwell was very wet. There may be a roof leak as well as a boot leak, or can water get into the footwell from the boot?

The footwell is also dry since the boot has dried up.

Hope this helps.

The car is coming up to 15 years old, and it still drives well.

Simmy Jul 7th, 2021 19:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnM 855 T5R (Post 2725138)

John

what is the location of the module so i can check mine just to make sure its dry and clean:regular_smile: