Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   XC60 EGR Valve (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=318557)

bluepirate73 Jul 21st, 2021 19:08

XC60 EGR Valve

Hi All

Please forgive as new to the group and I am know this issue has no doubt been covered on numerous threads..

I have a '14 plate XC60 R-Design, 55k on clock.
I have had the engine management light come on on the dash and also on occasion the reduced performance indication also appears. Car drives hesitantly at times, and struggles to idle well, particularly when cold.
Car has been taken to Volvo dealer for code read and clear, which of course returned immediately. I have been told this is an issue with the EGR valve, the fault code is P2401300 and a new EGR is needed to be fitted at £800 all in.

I dont doubt the issue analysis is correct as this fits, however my question is, as I have read about other EGR issues being paid for by Volvo does anyone know if this comes under the same umbrella?

Many thanks in advance for any advice/knowledge.

Zebster Jul 22nd, 2021 06:20

There were goodwill payments made in respect of EGR cooler and EGR valve problems on VEA engines (I got 100% towards the cooler and 50% towards the valve). But if yours is AWD then it'd be the older 5-cylinder engine and they aren't covered.

Chrispynuts Aug 3rd, 2021 09:31

If 5 cylinder engine , Get it programmed out cheaper alternative

Familyman 90 Aug 3rd, 2021 09:55

If the car has a full Volvo history theres a tiny chance Volvo may contribute, but not terribly likely. Doesn't hurt to ask.

If it doesnt have full VSH it won't ever qualify for good will. No manufacturer will show good will to customers who have no shown them any.

Unless its an utter lump of coal in there they can usually be easily cleaned, so I wouldn't commit to a new one until the old one has actually been removed and examined. If it hasn't been removed and examined then your garage are only guessing.

Avoid any temptation to remove or disable it. Its a criminal offence - not simply a moving traffic offence or a con & use offence - that carries big fines and the risk of the car being seized and a conviction against your name. It's also an MOT failure, although unless its glaringly obvious the typical tester will have no way of knowing.

To avoid a recurrence avoid using diesel cars regularly for journeys under 7 miles.

Clan Aug 3rd, 2021 11:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluepirate73 (Post 2755484)
Hi All

Please forgive as new to the group and I am know this issue has no doubt been covered on numerous threads..

I have a '14 plate XC60 R-Design, 55k on clock.
I have had the engine management light come on on the dash and also on occasion the reduced performance indication also appears. Car drives hesitantly at times, and struggles to idle well, particularly when cold.
Car has been taken to Volvo dealer for code read and clear, which of course returned immediately. I have been told this is an issue with the EGR valve, the fault code is P2401300 and a new EGR is needed to be fitted at £800 all in.

I dont doubt the issue analysis is correct as this fits, however my question is, as I have read about other EGR issues being paid for by Volvo does anyone know if this comes under the same umbrella?

Many thanks in advance for any advice/knowledge.

That code indicated the gas flow through the EGR valve is not what it expects ... It could be coked up with soot or the valve sticking , it will have to come out at least and be checked or cleaned or replaced .
Or the EGR cooler could be blocked But That is code P 04D900 so the EGR Valve needs inspecting / cleaning and depending what is found be prepared for a new one ...

Pointer7 Aug 3rd, 2021 11:44

Same as Zebster for me, My S60 was outside of the age range that they covered but they still contributed towards the repairs due to the low mileage I think... Plus it has full Ovlov history :)

aidanthomson Aug 4th, 2021 22:26

I had my egr cooler replaced at 88000 at no cost in June. Only had 1 Volvo service. Mine is a 15 plate v60. Speak to customer services yourself as it helped with my case.

jneish Oct 7th, 2021 17:09

Check Engine, P04D9, Reduced Engine Performance, P00BC

Take a look at my problems, now resolved
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...&postcount=465