Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Diesel Engines (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   General D5 engine used without oil. Very sad :-( (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=318412)

Davadava Jul 16th, 2021 12:38

D5 engine used without oil. Very sad :-(

Dear All

Any of you lovely folk able to advise please?

Our beautiful XC70 2011 MY D5 205hp 63,000 miles FVSH, belts and transmission oil changed 12m ago at 60,000 miles

Built to our specification and owned since new.

Main Dealer oil service yesterday seemed to take a while longer than usual.

Manager came to see me to tell me that engine became noisy, knocking, juddering on test drive "for no obvious reason."

"To be further investigated tomorrow"

Today an apologetic phone call explaining that "the technician remembered that he had changed the filter, fitted the sump plug and forgot to add oil." He had popped into work today on his day off to explain - decent chap.

We are all human I suppose.

However...."the car was warmed up on the ramp and driven out of the bay and back in again as the car was making some noise. Oil was then added and the car taken on a road test.

The noises continued and worsened."

Sump has been removed and a bit of damage to a shell seen.

1. The good news is that the cause for the problem is known - oil starvation
2. The concerning news is.....well can you folk advise please?

I'm concerned that damage may have happened that is present now or may affect any engine oil lubricated components down the line.

It is our family caravan holiday tow car (hence transmission fluid replacement at 60k) and we are to use it for a 3 week caravan trip in the near future to the continent.

Our earlier XC70 D5 163 passed 200k miles without issue. I'm less than convinced that this one will do quite so well.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Dealer Principal back next week.

Thanks in advance

David

Dancake Jul 16th, 2021 13:40

It only takes a few seconds of running an engine without oil to cause terminal damage to bearings, crankshafts, camshafts, piston rings and turbo bearings etc. By adding oil afterwards they are simply closing the stable door after the horse has bolted. The engine will either need to be rebuilt (including new turbos, oil pump and oil cooler etc), or it will need to be replaced.

XC90Mk1 Jul 16th, 2021 13:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davadava (Post 2753970)
Dear All

Any of you lovely folk able to advise please?

Our beautiful XC70 2011 MY D5 205hp 63,000 miles FVSH, belts and transmission oil changed 12m ago at 60,000 miles

Built to our specification and owned since new.

Main Dealer oil service yesterday seemed to take a while longer than usual.

Manager came to see me to tell me that engine became noisy, knocking, juddering on test drive "for no obvious reason."

"To be further investigated tomorrow"

Today an apologetic phone call explaining that "the technician remembered that he had changed the filter, fitted the sump plug and forgot to add oil." He had popped into work today on his day off to explain - decent chap.

We are all human I suppose.

However...."the car was warmed up on the ramp and driven out of the bay and back in again as the car was making some noise. Oil was then added and the car taken on a road test.

The noises continued and worsened."

Sump has been removed and a bit of damage to a shell seen.

1. The good news is that the cause for the problem is known - oil starvation
2. The concerning news is.....well can you folk advise please?

I'm concerned that damage may have happened that is present now or may affect any engine oil lubricated components down the line.

It is our family caravan holiday tow car (hence transmission fluid replacement at 60k) and we are to use it for a 3 week caravan trip in the near future to the continent.

Our earlier XC70 D5 163 passed 200k miles without issue. I'm less than convinced that this one will do quite so well.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Dealer Principal back next week.

Thanks in advance

David

Given she’ll wearing etc I think Volvo will replace the engine. I wouldn’t accept any less and it will be completely ruined now.

Davadava Jul 16th, 2021 13:59

Cheers, it has been a great worry to us.

We have been told that the crankshaft shells will be replaced and then the engine tested with the diagnostic machine connected to check all is ok.

A mechanic pal said "the engine will be toast in no time" I fear he is correct.

Don't fancy it going pop whilst towing the caravan on a motorway

XC90Mk1 Jul 16th, 2021 14:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davadava (Post 2754001)
Cheers, it has been a great worry to us.

We have been told that the crankshaft shells will be replaced and then the engine tested with the diagnostic machine connected to check all is ok.

A mechanic pal said "the engine will be toast in no time" I fear he is correct.

Don't fancy it going pop whilst towing the caravan on a motorway

I actually don’t think Volvo will offer anything other than a replacement engine??

The issue is that whilst replacing the shell bearings will bring it back in spec and prevent knocking there will be microscopic parts of shell bearing throughout the engine which you won’t clear out.

Valve stem seals in the top have run dry so they won’t last long, and there will be parts of the camshaft and valves etc that will have been temperature effected (hardened or annealed).

I don’t believe you will have too much issue with a reputable Volvo dealer (sadly it’s impressive that they actually admitted it).

But that engine is now completely finished unless you have some over whelming evidence to the country.

Keep us posted as to how you get on with it?

Zebster Jul 16th, 2021 15:46

All bearing surfaces must now be considered to have potential damage. Let them know ASAP that you expect a new engine, if only to put them on the back foot. I've no idea if you'll get one but that's a good target.

Thassos Jul 16th, 2021 16:38

back to school

Sounds like a schoolboy error.. but full credit for their honesty .. a very sad demise of what sounds like a well cared for volvo .. totally agree with others comments on the way forward,, maybe you could find a lower milage engine from a reputable breakers and get them to swap it out?.. be very interested to hear what they offer to do to rectify things, probably one of the reason's i prefer to do my own servicing despite the aggro this sometimes brings with it 😀 at least you know which idiot broke it 😀

Adrian888 Jul 16th, 2021 17:16

Oh dear, I feel for you but that engine is well and truly goosed for all the likely reasons already mentioned. And, why should you accept anything less than a new engine? Hope you get a good result.

Simmy Jul 16th, 2021 17:46

as good as the d5 engine is it can not withstand being run without oil a new engine and turbo is required accept nothing less take legal advise if they try wriggle out of this . if you take the car with a bodged repair the ball will be in your court and they wiil say something like it was ok when you took it its the things that you cannot see that will fail later bores rings cams seals ect

5cilinder Jul 17th, 2021 11:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dancake (Post 2753992)
It only takes a few seconds of running an engine without oil to cause terminal damage to bearings, crankshafts, camshafts, piston rings and turbo bearings etc. By adding oil afterwards they are simply closing the stable door after the horse has bolted. The engine will either need to be rebuilt (including new turbos, oil pump and oil cooler etc), or it will need to be replaced.

Are you sure :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD0Pv6yyGek