Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Mass Air Flow Sensor (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=317828)

creronr123 Jun 23rd, 2021 15:11

Mass Air Flow Sensor

Just to let folks know. I removed my Mass Air Flow Sensor from my V40 2002
Cleaned the sensor with special cleaner off Ebay and refitted the vehicle runs even better.
I do this every time I carry out an oil change every 5k miles

Clan Jun 23rd, 2021 15:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by creronr123 (Post 2747585)
Just to let folks know. I removed my Mass Air Flow Sensor from my V40 2002
Cleaned the sensor with special cleaner off Ebay and refitted the vehicle runs even better.
I do this every time I carry out an oil change every 5k miles

How does it get " Dirty" ? Its fed with clean filtered air .... and is cleaned every time you turn off the ignition ( It glows white hot ) Be very wary of doing anything with your £300+ Air mass meter i have seen them ruined by doing this .

creronr123 Jun 24th, 2021 08:20

Air Flow Sensor

I got the tip from Scotty Kilmer of Youtube. Are you correct it glows hot when engine is off?

Clan Jun 24th, 2021 10:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by creronr123 (Post 2747740)
I got the tip from Scotty Kilmer of Youtube. Are you correct it glows hot when engine is off?

Yes on the ones up to around 1991 with the wire filament the later are solid state but still with a hot surface ...

V40onepointeight Jun 28th, 2021 11:03

I've cleaned many a grubby MAF in this way on Volvos and other cars, never had a problem and it's always improved the behaviour. The air being drawn past the wires isn't perfectly clean as the relatively cheap and crude filter used don't 100% scrub the air. Nor is the unit hermetically sealed. After thousands of hours there will always be unwanted particles in there affecting the performance.

Clan Jun 28th, 2021 14:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by V40onepointeight (Post 2748794)
I've cleaned many a grubby MAF in this way on Volvos and other cars, never had a problem and it's always improved the behaviour. The air being drawn past the wires isn't perfectly clean as the relatively cheap and crude filter used don't 100% scrub the air. Nor is the unit hermetically sealed. After thousands of hours there will always be unwanted particles in there affecting the performance.

Have you noticed how clean the inner surfaces of the air filter cover and the air inlet pipes are from the air filter element to the point where the Breather fumes are admitted ? "dirty" air mass meters are just not a problem on the many thousands of Volvos running around out there on the roads ... Mainly people spray stuff on perfectly good clean air mass meters when the problem is something else I have found ...

Miketwovolvos Jul 18th, 2021 20:19

air mass meters

in my experience with a 940 and an s40, the Air Mass metres are pretty much immortal..the only prob I ever had was with the connections to them, just a misaligned pin or the pins not being 100% tight/well fitting. I put a large tie around the one on the 940 and had no further problems. I have two spare Air Mass Meters I pulled out of cars in 2002 and have never used. The wire heating/burn off when the engine is switched off is a very cool Bosch system which is very robust in my experience...

Clan Jul 18th, 2021 21:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miketwovolvos (Post 2754583)
in my experience with a 940 and an s40, the Air Mass metres are pretty much immortal..the only prob I ever had was with the connections to them, just a misaligned pin or the pins not being 100% tight/well fitting. I put a large tie around the one on the 940 and had no further problems. I have two spare Air Mass Meters I pulled out of cars in 2002 and have never used. The wire heating/burn off when the engine is switched off is a very cool Bosch system which is very robust in my experience...

I totally agree , until someone "cleans" them and ruin a good £300 Air Mass Meter ....

ITSv40 Jul 19th, 2021 16:20

My previous V40 did 370,000mls without ever cleaning the maf. Ran like a dream until rust killed the body.

Clan Jul 19th, 2021 21:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by ITSv40 (Post 2754800)
My previous V40 did 370,000mls without ever cleaning the maf. Ran like a dream until rust killed the body.

I'd like someone to explain how they think the air mass Meter get "dirty" with clean highly filtered air going through them ...