Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Towing and Caravan Topics (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Air suspension when towing - is it worth it? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=316759)

anotherv60 May 11th, 2021 18:22

Air suspension when towing - is it worth it?

Hi all,

I'm looking at options for our next family (tow) car and would be interested in current owners thoughts on air suspension. I have no experience of air suspension and wonder if anyone finds any benefit to this system for towing?

Apart from the easier (not that its hard) hitching, is there a noticeable difference in towing performance - anyone experienced both coil springs and air suspension on the same model of vehicle?

Secondly anyone tow with any of the more recent plugin hybrid models - any comments on those towing also appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

AnotherV60

Adrian888 May 11th, 2021 20:14

Having had an Audi A6 with air suspension for towing, if i had new car money it would be a ‘must’. My current tow car is a V60 D6 hybrid and it tows a treat. However you will not get much mileage on battery alone and overall towing economy is no better or worse than my previous Diesel Passat and the V6 Tdi Audi before that. The benefits are 4wd function, good solo mpg, use of battery for short journeys, great when arriving/departing site to keep noise llevels down and ease of manoeuvring/reversing with caravan hooked up. No RFL is a bonus but insurance is high compared with a none hybrid as are service costs

Dazbox May 14th, 2021 19:17

When we changed from our S Max X Sport the main reason for getting the V90 CC was that it had the 4C chassis with air suspension on it, must admit it does keep the van level but it can be a bit wallowy still (due to the Touring chassis set up I think). I have set up an individual setting using Dynamic suspension but all other settings as comfort which then firms up the rear and gives a better ride. You could just select Dynamic but when towing I can do without the racy throttle and increased revs, use enough fuel as it is !.

Compared to the S Max on firmish suspension it keeps the car level, when it was loaded for the summer trip with the van it used to come down a fair bit towards the rear tyres and I did think that we'd bottom out at times but in fairness it never did, with the air suspension you wouldn't think there was anything in it due to it being level.

Bungle1976 Jun 1st, 2021 01:44

I haven't experienced air suspension on a Volvo, but we use it on the vans for a charity I help with. By far the main advantage is that it doesn't matter how much weight is in the vehicle the towball will be at the right height. With the previous metal sprung vans we would have to use a drop plate if the vehicle was unladen but take it off if it was loaded.

Daz2347 Jun 15th, 2021 08:19

I had the the choice of an R-Design pro or inscription none pro and was worried about the lack of air suspension, in the end the inscription won, we have now towed 3 times with it and I have to say the suspension is Amazing haven’t noticed our lunar clubman SE is attached must of the time 🤪. And is A country mile better than our old Honda CRV

Washwipe Jul 20th, 2021 23:04

R Design Pro, found it a bit bouncy, changed the setting to Dynamic as per Volvo’s recommendation, much better ride.