Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Towing with new XC60 Drive? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=77519)

ChrisE Aug 1st, 2009 15:05

Towing with new XC60 Drive?

I have been asking around - including Volvo technical - about the new XC60 drivetrains, the "drive" changes to gearing which reduce engine revs - & potentially raise the lower gears, the torque differences between the two diesel engines and why the manual versions have much reduced towball weights limits compared to the automatic versions which also have higher towing loads.

Nobody is able - or in Volvos case willing - to give me any answers.

My question is simple. Have any of you with 2010 XC60 towed a caravan yet?

If so which engine have you got & is it manual or auto?
What is the weight of your caravan?
What did you tow with before?
What do you think of your new XC60 towing performance?

Chris

PS Nobody can even tell me if the gearing changes are limited to the 175hp 2.4 drive manual or whether all the diesel models are modified for 2010.

Clan Aug 1st, 2009 15:59

The XC60 has been voted tow car of the year by 2 independant magazines and the caravan club , beating 38 rivals so i dont think you have anything to worry about!

ChrisE Aug 2nd, 2009 05:04

Yes but that was the 2009 model which had different engines, different gearing, different towing weights etc etc.

The model that I would choose is the 2.4Drive manual but the trailer nose limit weight is 75kg & the towing weight 1500kg. Both are very low for a vehicle of this size. Both limits are legaly enforceable. Put the auto on the same car & they become 90kg & 2000kg which is much more typical.

I was just hoping that one of the new owners who have poset here is a caravanner.

SKH Aug 3rd, 2009 12:33

I know its a 2009 model but I have an XC60 D5 Geartronic with the 185bhp engine and have probably towed for about 2000 miles this year. I can honestly say it is the best car I have ever towed with and I have towed with a lot of cars over the last 20 years or so.

Obviously, the downside of the 2.4Drive (as I understand it) is that it is only 2 wheel drive which is likely to have an affect on the towing weights.

cbjroms Aug 4th, 2009 11:04

Good morning,

I purchased an XC60 Drive SE Lux about a month ago having sold my XC90 Geartronic.

Returned home last night from 2 weeks in Spain towing our caravan - did the same trip 2 years ago in the XC90.

I am delighted with the XC60 as a towcar and the only difference I noticed from the XC90 was the plus/minus features of the change from the Geratronic to manual.

Hope this helps.

Chris

ChrisE Aug 4th, 2009 13:39

Yes it does help.

You can't beat real life experience from someone who had a good towcar before.

Thank you