Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   JC5 Gearbox research (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=249713)

Superdeuces May 7th, 2016 18:09

JC5 Gearbox research

Hi guys, I finally fell foul of the 5th gear gator nut coming loose and destroying the box.

volvo v40 estate 51 plate, 1.8 petrol

Im currently trying to find a matching gearbox,

Volvo tell me its an MT5 gearbox

Vin breakdown suggest its (3) - M3P, M5P, M5D

I found a renault stamp on the bellhousing with 7700600055 part number

This has led me on a goose chase, an ebay search came up with a volvo gearbox titled volvo V40 S40 JC5-227

Can anyone definitively tell which gearbox I should be searching for? there were no stickers on the dead gearbox that I could see, only the Renault part number.
I do not have access to it until monday as its at the garage.

Breakers have already supplied the wrong one and are being dicks. Volvo are useless. Maybe you knowledgable lot can help?

druid May 7th, 2016 18:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superdeuces (Post 2106684)
Hi guys, I finally fell foul of the 5th gear gator nut coming loose and destroying the box.

This has led me on a goose chase, an ebay search came up with a volvo gearbox titled volvo V40 S40 JC5-227

Can anyone definitively tell which gearbox I should be searching for? there were no stickers on the dead gearbox that I could see, only the Renault part number.

Breakers have already supplied the wrong one and are being dicks. Volvo are useless. Maybe you knowledgable lot can help?

Sounds like you have a diesel but it would help if you tell us engine size etc...

Superdeuces May 7th, 2016 18:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by druid (Post 2106693)
Sounds like you have a diesel but it would help if you tell us engine size etc...

Haha, oops! petrol 1.8, v40 sport estate 2002 plate

Will edit main post. Cheers :thumbs_up:

Volvophile May 7th, 2016 22:37

What you need is a gearbox from a 1.8 Volvo engined S40/V40 up until 2002. This very same gearbox was used in the 1.6 litre models up till the very end in 2004.

This box is also called the JB3 I'm pretty sure, but I was never too certain of contemporary Renaults that it was used in. I think that Volvo used their own bell housing in the S40/V40 anyhow, which means you're probably better off finding a replacement from a like for like car.

Clan May 8th, 2016 09:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superdeuces (Post 2106684)

volvo v40 estate 51 plate, 1.8 petrol

The final drive ratio is crucial you need exactly the same gearbox or it will ruin how it drives if you have the wrong ratio . The ratio is on a metal plate on top of the box , 3.87:1 The Part number you need is 8251416 and is designated M5P/JC5 A VIN would help to be 100% correct !