Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Wheel security key needed (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=313540)

goltho Jan 22nd, 2021 12:58

Wheel security key needed

1 Attachment(s)
My daughter just bought a 2011 V50 which I'm giving the once-over. Despite the previous owner's assurances, the wheel nut security key is missing.:angry_smile:

A long shot but does anyone have this key? Thanks.

iainmd Jan 22nd, 2021 14:21

That's the older McGard type. Luckily Volvo dealers have a number of master key sets that they can access so if you approach a dealer they'll get them off. Failing that, some garages will cut them off but you do run the risk of wheel damage.

ideford Jan 22nd, 2021 16:21

Either ToolStation or Screwfix (I forget which) used to sell a tool for getting off locking wheel nuts - I don't know if they still do. I had a set taken off by my local garage a few years ago after a tyre place kindly broke my key & then denied all knowledge of it!

goltho Jan 22nd, 2021 17:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by iainmd (Post 2701437)
That's the older McGard type. Luckily Volvo dealers have a number of master key sets that they can access so if you approach a dealer they'll get them off. Failing that, some garages will cut them off but you do run the risk of wheel damage.

Thanks. My "local" main dealer told me this afternoon they couldn't help, hey ho. My buddy's going to weld one of the standard nuts onto each of the security ones face-on, so I should be able to crack them off ok with that.

Always sumtin.:confused_smile:

goltho Jan 22nd, 2021 17:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by ideford (Post 2701477)
Either ToolStation or Screwfix (I forget which) used to sell a tool for getting off locking wheel nuts - I don't know if they still do. I had a set taken off by my local garage a few years ago after a tyre place kindly broke my key & then denied all knowledge of it!

Thanks for that. I had a look at them just now but the issue with them seems to be that a hammer gun is needed to get the thread started on the lug. Plus it's impossible to get the extracted lug back out of the tool after removing it so if like me you've got 4 wheels to do, that's over £80! However, good suggestion.

silverfoxjw Jan 22nd, 2021 18:02

wheel nut

Hi contact the following......... McGard Deutschland GmbH
Nordstr. 12 · 74226 Nordheim · Deutschland
Tel. 0049 (0)7133 90 19 - 0 ·
email......info@mcgard.de
www.mcgard.de

These are the suppliers to volvo, i purchase 2 new from them for my XC60...
make contact with them...you will have to supply, picture of your registration document, driving licence, picture of wheel nut cost was 30 euro for 2, get tracked delivery as they come from Germany..delivery was around 2 weeks from order

Good luck

silverfoxjw Jan 22nd, 2021 18:09

Hi just one issue with welding, if the lockers are the same as mine, the outer part goes round, only the key part does not move, this helps with the security side so you can not attach 'tamper' nuts

andy_d Jan 22nd, 2021 20:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverfoxjw (Post 2701535)
Hi contact the following......... McGard Deutschland GmbH
Nordstr. 12 · 74226 Nordheim · Deutschland
Tel. 0049 (0)7133 90 19 - 0 ·
email......info@mcgard.de
www.mcgard.de

These are the suppliers to volvo, i purchase 2 new from them for my XC60...
make contact with them...you will have to supply, picture of your registration document, driving licence, picture of wheel nut cost was 30 euro for 2, get tracked delivery as they come from Germany..delivery was around 2 weeks from order

Good luck

go with that

volvo main dealers DO have access to the keys they denied having access to
thats been well documented here in the past
they have to do a Bit of work, and Request the key be sent to there dealership ,then return it after the job... so if your main dealer is saying they dont ,, he means "we wont" = Time to find another main dealer,

FAR too many main dealers are doing this out and out lie to customers when the car is over X years old or they really dont want the work (and payment for it)

goltho Jan 26th, 2021 13:02

By way of a positive update, I emailed McGard the photo of the security nut on Saturday. They replied at 9:30am yesterday (Monday) morning saying Yes, we can help you, and asking for a copy of the V5 and my D/L which were duly supplied. First thing this morning (Tuesday), they sent me a pre-filled invoice link for €20 for the new key including delivery which should be by the end of the week. That's what I consider absolutely outstanding service.

So a big thanks to you guys for all your good suggestions. I've added McGard to my contacts for future reference. :regular_smile:

S60D5-185 Jan 26th, 2021 14:07

Once off, throw them away and replace with a standard wheel bolt.

They are absolute junk as evidenced by the number of threads on here where people have been unable to remove them even with the key because the key bit is made of chocolate. Ask me how I know.:angry_smile: