Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Replacing front brake disc shields (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=319291)

griston64 Sep 8th, 2021 16:55

I paid £3.70 from FRF but had other stuff so not sure what they came to with discount

Laird Scooby Sep 8th, 2021 16:57

This is from the Volvopartswebstore, items #6 and #13, guide bolt and hex socket screw, first is ~$17 and the second are $5.87 each which works out ~$30.

https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/s...rimLevel=24670

Chances are it would be less in GBP £ in the same amount given exchange rates etc and then a bit less with the discount.

The thread on the guide bolt is M6 by the way, i used the holes to jack off the reluctor rings with a long M6 bolt :

https://i.postimg.cc/0Q2csKkb/IMG_20..._144235720.jpg

You could probably make one from a bit of M6 studding and an M6 nut if you have access to a lathe. :thumbs_up:

loki_the_glt Sep 8th, 2021 17:50

I've used a piece of M6 threaded bar, originally intended for model railroad use, to secure the disc to the hub as a temporary fix.

Laird Scooby Sep 8th, 2021 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by loki_the_glt (Post 2768944)
I've used a piece of M6 threaded bar, originally intended for model railroad use, to secure the disc to the hub as a temporary fix.

There was once a school of thought that wheels with 5 stud fitting could only be balanced on the car and the stud is used to locate the wheel in the same place each time.

To be honest, it's not absolutely necessary but nice to have it.

I was planning on doing my back brakes today but it was too hot out there, even for me. I started melting while painting the new disc/drums prior to fitting so it got left but i'll take a few measurements and see how easy it would be to knock up a few spares on the lathe.

griston64 Sep 8th, 2021 19:10

Found the little blighter in the garage. Its a teeny bit bent but should be fine

If you want to pm your address I'll pop it in post tomorrow.

I thought I had the M8 x 10 bolts for fixing the backplates to strut but I must've used them all. I think its 3 for each plate

loki_the_glt Sep 8th, 2021 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by griston64 (Post 2768956)
Found the little blighter in the garage. Its a teeny bit bent but should be fine

If you want to pm your address I'll pop it in post tomorrow.

I thought I had the M8 x 10 bolts for fixing the backplates to strut but I must've used them all. I think its 3 for each plate

PM sent. I've got some M8 bolts lying about so that sorts out that problem.

griston64 Sep 8th, 2021 22:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by loki_the_glt (Post 2768991)
PM sent. I've got some M8 bolts lying about so that sorts out that problem.

PM Received. In a small jiffy bag to be posted tomorrow

Cheers

jpliddy Sep 11th, 2021 08:42

steering wobble

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyS9 (Post 2763212)
Just pop the cover off to check, you might even be able to do it without removing the wheel.

Make sure you have a good breaker bar, I just about managed with 0.6m, I struggled to get it fully tightened with the bar nearly breaking in the process. Probably 1m is needed and ideally 3/4" drive.

The bearing in later cars (ie yours) are integrated with hub, they won't fall out.

If you have high miles and are getting steering wobble under hard braking you might want to consider new hubs in the process. The bearings are not adjustable and when worn just become loose. Mine were gone at 170,000 miles but not detectable by the normal hand tests.

hi tony
i have just been experiencing some steering wobble when braking at higher speeds 60mph ,no other issues so possible hub is my problem ?

Laird Scooby Sep 11th, 2021 09:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpliddy (Post 2769591)
hi tony
i have just been experiencing some steering wobble when braking at higher speeds 60mph ,no other issues so possible hub is my problem ?

Any other unexpected problems Jim like the steering feel vague and/or the car tending to feel light on the front end or wandering across lanes on dual carriageways/motorways?

Also any wobble when just driving at various speeds?

loki_the_glt Sep 12th, 2021 13:23

And it just keeps getting worse.

With all of the parts and tools to hand this morning it was time to resume battle.

Jacking up front end, front wheel ,front disc, caliper, and caliper yoke removal all went swimmingly, not least because I had re-fitted everything with the old bolts and done them up finger-tight.
Applied chisel and hammer to hub dustcap and pried it off.
Applied 36mm socket and 18" breaker bar to hub nut and then stand on bar to crack the nut.
So far, so good.
Remove remains of old backing plate - also simple.
Use the bolt removers to extract the old backing plate bolts and put a pound coin in the swear box.
At this point it all went horribly wrong.
The backing plates, which are allegedly correct for an ABS-equipped car, don't fit. Put another pound in the swear box.
Re-fit the hub to the stub axle, and discover that it will not rotate at all. The hub bearing has collapsed, thereby preventing the hub from turning. Much industrial language, albeit under my breath, follows. Empty wallet into swear box.
Re-assemble front end, have a brew and couple of biscuits and give up for the day.