Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Replacing front brake disc shields (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=319291)

WUMPSTER Aug 18th, 2021 12:03

I decided to dump mine and not replace as they are not an mot fail if not fitted lol

loki_the_glt Aug 18th, 2021 18:16

Brake pads? You mean there should be pads in the calipers?

The use of industrial language is rationed, while refreshment breaks are frowned upon by the management as it means my coming into the kitchen and leaving muddy pawprints everywhere. Therefore it's one brew before starting the job and possibly a further one after the first side is finished.

baggy798 Aug 19th, 2021 18:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by griston64 (Post 2763225)
Cost from Volvo for front hubs is 2x271644- £281.60. Wheel hubs a pair
2x6819759- £109.80. ABS RING TO PRESS ON HUBS. a pair

I replaced mine with SKF which were still £100.00 each

You bought the abs ring separate? Gen ones come with them according to this pic:

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/8392...-271644-107901

griston64 Aug 19th, 2021 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by baggy798 (Post 2763658)
You bought the abs ring separate? Gen ones come with them according to this pic:

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/8392...-271644-107901

Read more carefully Mr Bagster ! I didn't buy the Volvo ones. I bought SKF.

The Gen Volvo would be £196.70 each including ABS ring so the IPD ones at $276.00 Dollars inc ring is the same ( based on fluctuating exchange rates )

The SKF ones came with the ring and I bought direct from SKF at around £100.00 each

gpl1968 Aug 19th, 2021 20:57

1 Attachment(s)
I did mine with the brakes last year.
It's fairly simple although an impact gun is useful as one of the backplate nuts on each side was siezed needing a bit of brutality and a new nut.....

the angle bracket holding the ABS sensor needs drilling off and riveting onto the new plate.

The hub nut is single use so a new pair will be needed.

I think I have a spare 36mm socket if you need one, I'll be in Great Barrow on Saturday if it's of use.

Tightening of nut from Vadis:

Tighten nut (use new nut)
Tighten until axial play has just disappeared, then tighten to DEFAULT-ENTITY 100 Nm (74ft.lbs.)&/emph;. Finally, tighten to 45°. Use protractor 951 2050

As you can see in the pic mine had all the strength of a lace (paper) doilly.

One thing to note, the backplates came from Brookhouse and were of decent quality although I found that the raised metal ring that acts as a dust shield around the centre was too deep and caused rubbing with the hub on first assembly.
I scribed a line around the inside of the ring with the dimension taken from the old backplate and trimmed them down with an angle grinder and flap disc, taking care to deburr and clean afterwards.

loki_the_glt Aug 20th, 2021 09:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpl1968 (Post 2763717)
I did mine with the brakes last year.
It's fairly simple although an impact gun is useful as one of the backplate nuts on each side was siezed needing a bit of brutality and a new nut.....

the angle bracket holding the ABS sensor needs drilling off and riveting onto the new plate.
The hub nut is single use so a new pair will be needed.

I think I have a spare 36mm socket if you need one, I'll be in Great Barrow on Saturday if it's of use.

As you can see in the pic mine had all the strength of a lace (paper) doilly.

I have a suitable socket, but thank you for the offer. There appears to be more metal on your old backing plate than mine!

TonyS9 Aug 20th, 2021 11:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laird Scooby (Post 2763221)
I used a 6ft scaffold pole on a 3/4 drive socket set to remove. Torque wrench and 1/2" drive to refit with 2' breaker bar to do the angle with a protractor although 45deg is fairly easy to guess.

New hubs including bearings can be scarily expensive, especially if they don't need doing yet.

True, they take a bit of research to get decent priced ones that are not complete sh1t. Do not get anything the means "economy or regular" brand.. premium only (by "car parts for less" / ECP language).

baggy798 Aug 21st, 2021 12:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by griston64 (Post 2763676)
Read more carefully Mr Bagster ! I didn't buy the Volvo ones. I bought SKF.

The Gen Volvo would be £196.70 each including ABS ring so the IPD ones at $276.00 Dollars inc ring is the same ( based on fluctuating exchange rates )

The SKF ones came with the ring and I bought direct from SKF at around £100.00 each

Just wondered why you listed the abs ring number!

Did the SKF ones come with new hub nut and dust cap?

griston64 Aug 21st, 2021 13:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by baggy798 (Post 2764173)
Just wondered why you listed the abs ring number!

Did the SKF ones come with new hub nut and dust cap?

FRF listed the hubs that way.

SKF ones came with nut but I don't think they had dustcaps. I had ordered dust caps from FRF before starting the job and I'm pretty certain that was the ones I used

loki_the_glt Sep 4th, 2021 16:25

R.I.P. Plan A

Well, that didn't go according to plan, so maybe Herr von Moltke was correct about plans not surviving first contact with the enemy.

Jacked up the front end and removed the roadwheel on the driver's side as there's more room there. So far, so good. Thereafter, not so much.

Step 1. Inspected the bolts that hold the caliper to the yoke - not so good as the upper one was rounded; a cold chisel and a BIG hammer looks like the solution to this problem and I haven't got a suitable chisel at the moment.

Step 2. Then assessed the Socket-cap bolts that hold the caliper carier to the strut; more bad news as one of the heads is rounded.

Step 3. Took a small chisel and a hammer to the remnants of the old backing plate and removed the majority of it. It is now in the bin.

Re-fitted the roadwheel and turned the car around to do the nearside. See Steps 1 and 2 above for the outcome.

Refitted the roadwheel, put the tools away and had a brew.

On the positive side, there was no use of industrial language and a trip to A&E was not made.