Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Amazon/1800 alternator conversions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=29895)

Pigeon Jan 6th, 2007 16:00

Amazon/1800 alternator conversions

Since this seems to be something of a "topic of the moment", with various people puzzling over the wiring concerns involved (despite their beautiful simplicity), I have created a web page explaining just how simple the wiring is :)

Pigeon's Nest Volvo Alternator Wiring Page

Comments/suggestions welcome.

tdz840 Jan 9th, 2007 22:00

alternator conversion

Pigeon
Many thanks for your help on this.

I have both regulators (dynamo and alternator) in front of me and the terminals available on the dynamo regulator is D+ (Dynamo), DF (Dynamo field), Earth (D-??),and B+ (Battery).
Dynamo regulator
On the B+ (Battery) terminal are two heavy gauge brown wires which looking at the wiring diagram one goes to the starter motor and one to the fuse box.
The D+ terminal also has two wires one goes to the dynamo D+ and the other goes to the charging light.
The DF terminal has one wire which goes direct to the dynamo.
The earth terminal obviously is part of the body of the regulator but has a dedicated screw for positive location.

Alternator regulator (new)
There are three available terminals DF, D+, and D-
From your diagram D- is earth, DF is the field terminal and D+ goes to the alternator and the charging light. All good so far - but wait!! What about the B+ terminal?? Theres no B+ terminal fitted on the regulator I have and according to the Haynes schematic appears to come from the alternator only.

Finally looking at the P1800 scematic in the Haynes manual (page 196) one wire from the dynamo(B+?) goes to the lighting switch (37).

Sorry for being such a plonker but I dont want to reconfigure the wiring, connect up and watch it change to a molten blob!!

In anticipation
Russ

Alan Beckett Jan 9th, 2007 22:28

Russ

I rewired my '68 P1800 last year with a decent second hand loom from a generator car. From memory the two heavy guage brown wires link the starter and the ignition switch. There is no place for them on a modern transistor regulator. Mine are still linked together but isolated from all other wiring and the car body. No problems with starting or risking the car going into meltdown. If you are using an original mechanical regulator there is a nut underneath where these two wires can be located. I may be wrong but I don't think the regulator has any impact upon this part of the system. If I am wrong no doubt others will let us know.

I will have a look under the bonnet tomorrow and confirm.

Pigeon Jan 10th, 2007 00:11

Hmm. Did I suffer a brain fart when writing that web page? Anyway, Alan is correct - keep the two brown wires linked together but isolated from everything else. I'll go and double checktomorrow and revise the web page / punch myself in the head as appropriate!

tdz840 Jan 10th, 2007 05:32

Thank God for that!!!
I have been studying the schematics for ages thinking I was wrong.
I half expected to post the reply and get back half a dozen replies telling me that I was indeed a plonker!!
Thanks for your help guys
Russ

Banshee880 Apr 24th, 2024 23:59

Hello Pigeon. I thought to check to see if you would confirm you’ve updated your webpage as stated below before I attempt to convert my ‘66 1800. Thank you!
Scott

Derek UK Apr 25th, 2024 15:42

Scott. Note the date on Pidgeon's last post. Not positive but believe he moved to Australia and took his Amazon Estate with him. Confirmation welcomed.