Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   V50 Engine 2.0D : EGR replacement - shouldn't Volvo be paying? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=75808)

v50chrisd Jul 6th, 2009 12:17

EGR replacement - shouldn't Volvo be paying?

Hi. New member here so apologies if this is in the wrong place!

I recently had my egr valve replaced (55 plate v50, 45000 miles) by a dealer due to intermittent total loss of power (even with clutch in it would take about 3 to 4 seconds to go from idle to 3000rpm). The dealer contacted Volvo who agreed to pay 50% (turned ouyt to be 50% of the parts cost) so reduced the bill to about £240.

However, having read this (very useful) forum, I can't help but think that Volvo should be paying for the whole job despite it being out of warranty. This feeling is based on the fact that they are now installing a different valve therfore have recognised that the previous design was not suitable. It did leave me in some precarious situations which could have been dangerous so I could not ignore it. Am I being unreasonable and if not does anyone know how I can pursue it?

southportvolvo Jul 6th, 2009 14:42

Warranty

You were lucky to get Volvo to stump up for half the cost, they usually fob people off if it's out of warranty.

We've had customers try to persue it further, all to no avail. Once Volvo have decided on a settlement cost, that's generally it.

v50Dom Jul 6th, 2009 16:02

I had the EGR issue a few months ago, the car was 2 months out of warranty.

Volvo paid 50% of both labour and parts for my replacement EGR. It cost me £150. Perhaps I'm lucky and have a reasonably good Dealer - the Dealer sorted the discount for me.

John_C Jul 7th, 2009 09:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by v50chrisd (Post 527883)
I can't help but think that Volvo should be paying for the whole job despite it being out of warranty. This feeling is based on the fact that they are now installing a different valve therfore have recognised that the previous design was not suitable.

Volvo would no doubt argue that the different part is due to a policy of constant improvement or some such and deny it's due to any inherant weakness in the old EGR valve.

I think you've done quite well to get a contribution on a car which is out of warranty TBH.

v50chrisd Jul 7th, 2009 13:32

Thanks very much for your views. Albeit a very small sample of 2 people, it would seem that EGR replacement costs about £300 but worth pursuing around a 50% contribution form Volvo if you're not long out of warranty (I was about 7 months out - maybe that's why I got parts only!).

I doubt I will ever totally rid my mind of the thought that this should be dealt with by Volvo as a design fault and combined with various other issues/disappointments I've had (door wiring loom, washer bottle replacement, headlight washer hose coming off, relatively poor fuel economy) I would think very hard before buying another Volvo - a real shame.

DeeJ Jul 8th, 2009 00:13

When i have plugged in my diagnostic tool it has come up with EGR problems.
So this may indicate that it could be on its way out, but I have had not one single loss of power.

But if I go to Volvo and argue you reckon I could get it sorted, or do you reckon I would have to wait til it packed up?

Geordie C30 Jul 12th, 2009 13:39

I had an EGR warning light showing (diesel engine) last Christmas so I tried using a fuel additive, Millers, and half way through the second tank of fuel with the additive in the light went out and has stayed out. The system is working as the warning light comes on with the ignition but goes out when the engine is started and the car has since passed its MOT. It's worth a tenner to try this first.

KBB Jul 12th, 2009 21:16

EGR issue account for about 25% of running issues most indipendent workshops see and thats all makes. In all cases the EGR valve is caked with carbon and becomes sezed usuay in the open position hence the poor running issues due to a lean missfire condition. Limited sucess with cleaning but the problem returns. Common practice on a number of makes to do a by pass and install a blanking plate with gasket, the valve functions on demand but is no longer in contact with exhaust gasses. Volvo, Renult, Vauxhall, citrone, Ford to name but a few