Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Diesel Engines (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   2.0 Diesel (D4204T5) Balance shaft set up (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=333053)

sidubber May 30th, 2023 21:07

2.0 Diesel (D4204T5) Balance shaft set up

Im in the UK I have just rebuilt my 2015 XC60 2.0 diesel (D4204T5) due to it using excessive amount of oil. I replaced the piston rings (oil control ring was clogged.) before rebuilding it the engine run lovely. After rebuilding it runs lovely no error codes plenty of power but i have a whistle/whine. Ive smoke tested the intake and exhaust side, no leaks, checked the timing belt all ok, removed the accessory drive belt, noise still there. listened with a stethoscope and the noise seems to be coming from the sump, I think the balance shaft assembly. I followed the workshop manual but the version of VIDA I have it said nothing about timing or aligning the balance shaft just remove and then install. The engine was silent before I rebuilt it so maybe i haven't aligned it quite right?. can you advise me what to do, can i re-align mine? if so how. Can anyone share how to do this Would really appreciate your help as there is not alot of info about it.

Clan May 30th, 2023 22:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidubber (Post 2898153)
Im in the UK I have just rebuilt my 2015 XC60 2.0 diesel (D4204T5) due to it using excessive amount of oil. I replaced the piston rings (oil control ring was clogged.) before rebuilding it the engine run lovely. After rebuilding it runs lovely no error codes plenty of power but i have a whistle/whine. Ive smoke tested the intake and exhaust side, no leaks, checked the timing belt all ok, removed the accessory drive belt, noise still there. listened with a stethoscope and the noise seems to be coming from the sump, I think the balance shaft assembly. I followed the workshop manual but the version of VIDA I have it said nothing about timing or aligning the balance shaft just remove and then install. The engine was silent before I rebuilt it so maybe i haven't aligned it quite right?. can you advise me what to do, can i re-align mine? if so how. Can anyone share how to do this Would really appreciate your help as there is not alot of info about it.

Alignment is Critical to prevent noise, there is a volvo special alignment tool you must use to ensure it is right.

How about timing it too? the weights have to be in the right place to counteract the pistons going up and down..

BryanInglis Oct 17th, 2023 23:36

Just in the process of rebuilding my 2014 xc60 too. What piston ring gap did you go with? Would be handy if anyone else had actually fitted the balancing mechanism without any volvo tools. I have a spare engine, still built up, so might start a strip down to see if I can figure any alignment.

Scura Mar 29th, 2024 10:33

XC60 Balance Shaft

Hi,

I have just had my engine rebuilt due to high oil consumption, the block was replace along with the pistons. Problem I have is a vibration coming from the engine that was never there before. Could the balance shaft timing be out?

Clan Mar 29th, 2024 11:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scura (Post 2942914)
Hi,

I have just had my engine rebuilt due to high oil consumption, the block was replace along with the pistons. Problem I have is a vibration coming from the engine that was never there before. Could the balance shaft timing be out?

If it wasn't a volvo dealer who rebuilt it then probably yes. Ask who ever did it how they aligned it in without the tool ( you cant ) and positioned the gear alignment to prevent wear and whining...