Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Rough cold start with misfire 2007 xc90 d5 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=335939)

Xc90noobie Oct 21st, 2023 18:36

Rough cold start with misfire 2007 xc90 d5

Hi,
I have a 2007 xc90 d5 auto executive.
When its been sat for several hours, overnight for example, it takes a few extra cranks to start, then it is rough/misfires for a few minutes. Engine, reversing and going forward seems jittery during the initial start up.
After that, it starts fine and runs fine.
Has anyone had this problem? Any ideas what it could be, or where to start in order to diagnose?
Many thanks

Simmy Oct 21st, 2023 19:29

start with a new fuel filter and do a leak back on the injectors try to get the codes read with vida if possible and work from there. where abouts in Derbyshire are you.?:regular_smile:

Xc90noobie Oct 21st, 2023 19:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simmy (Post 2919340)
start with a new fuel filter and do a leak back on the injectors try to get the codes read with vida if possible and work from there. where abouts in Derbyshire are you.?:regular_smile:

Thanks. I'm in Chesterfield.
It has just had a new fuel filter so 100% not that. My garage did a leak off test and said it was fine. But it does run OK when warm. It's just the initial few minutes. Cheers

Simmy Oct 21st, 2023 21:01

ok next check the swirl flap arm is connected and working then scan with vida to read live data to find out if the egr is working within parameters your just a bit far away for me to scan your car for faults and or codes..:regular_smile:

Xc90noobie Oct 22nd, 2023 17:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simmy (Post 2919350)
ok next check the swirl flap arm is connected and working then scan with vida to read live data to find out if the egr is working within parameters your just a bit far away for me to scan your car for faults and or codes..:regular_smile:

Thanks. I checked today and the swirl flap arm is present at least. I asked someone to rev the engine though, and when they revs had peaked, I can see a bit of white smoke released from around that area. Any ideas? I am looking on facebook/fleabay for a pre owned vida / knockoff vida and laptop.

Cheers

Harley Dave Oct 22nd, 2023 22:04

"Vindo", on here, used to sell Vida/Dice and a tablet to run it on.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...ighlight=vindo

Dunno if he's still around though...

Cheers

Dave

Kev0607 Nov 2nd, 2023 22:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xc90noobie (Post 2919332)
Hi,
I have a 2007 xc90 d5 auto executive.
When its been sat for several hours, overnight for example, it takes a few extra cranks to start, then it is rough/misfires for a few minutes. Engine, reversing and going forward seems jittery during the initial start up.
After that, it starts fine and runs fine.
Has anyone had this problem? Any ideas what it could be, or where to start in order to diagnose?
Many thanks

Glow plugs, maybe?

V70andv50 Mar 20th, 2024 14:37

Xc90 rough idle

Hi. Did anything come of this thread? I've got the same issue, my Vida is pointing to glow plug signal. I'm guessing this is the reason? Swirl flaps were done but 40k miles ago.

Kev0607 Mar 20th, 2024 16:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by V70andv50 (Post 2941617)
Hi. Did anything come of this thread? I've got the same issue, my Vida is pointing to glow plug signal. I'm guessing this is the reason? Swirl flaps were done but 40k miles ago.

If VIDA says that, then its likely the glow plugs or the wiring going to them, or the relay itself. You can test them with a multimeter to see which are good and which are bad.

Thassos Mar 21st, 2024 08:37

try the easy one 1st

Glow plugs.. very easy to check/get at with a multimeter on low ohms (like 0-200 ohm) the plastic on the connectors also tend to fall apart, also clean up any contacts as they pass a fair current when energised, and crusty old connectors will greatly reduce the current flow.