Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Are volvos for granddads? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=318847)

ThomasC91 Aug 1st, 2021 10:22

Are volvos for granddads?

One of my mates yesterday commented on my new car, s90, and said that I had gone grandad. :confused_smile::teeth_smile:

Cheeky bastard...I'm only 30.

But I think they're completely the opposite these days and that feeling is still there for some.

What you think.?

RonFleet Aug 1st, 2021 10:26

Your mate is entitled to his opinion, even though he's wrong.

Familyman 90 Aug 1st, 2021 10:33

I'm a Grandad, but wasn't when I bought my first Volvo. Pretty sure my Wife and Daughter aren't Grandads.

As Ron says above, he's entitled to be a bit of a plum if he wants to.

nu11eaf Aug 1st, 2021 11:12

I am a great grandad so he IS wrong, they are not just for grandads.

I was not a grandad when I bought my 1987 Volvo 740 turbo which wiped the ar*e of boy racers in VW Golf GTI's back in the day. I have matured now. But it was fun wiping the smirks off their faces. :devil_smile:

Kev0607 Aug 1st, 2021 11:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasC91 (Post 2758594)
One of my mates yesterday commented on my new car, s90, and said that I had gone grandad. :confused_smile::teeth_smile:

But I think they're completely the opposite these days and that feeling is still there for some.

What you think.?

He’s mistaken.

What about Mercedes, Lexus, Jaguar? Are they Grandad cars too?

HDAV Aug 1st, 2021 11:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev0607 (Post 2758627)
He’s mistaken.

What about Mercedes, Lexus, Jaguar? Are they Grandad cars too?

Taxi driver, Freemason, golfist (all of which could be a grandad)

But that would a taxi driving Freemason golfist drive?

Kia are for neurotics, audi for arseholes, bmw for wannabe arseholes, Vauxhall’s for people who don’t want a car, Ford for people with no imagination, mini for people who think they are cool, VW for people who think they know it all, skoda for people who do know it all, Honda for those ready to die, landrover for those who want to be outdoorsie, and a van for those who actually do outdoorsie stuff……all French cars for idiots……...

Stereotypes don’t exist because they don’t happen right…….

Mad Malc Aug 1st, 2021 12:08

Hi T,
Your so called 'mate' is simply jealous that you have the good taste and fortune to be running a 'quality' car.

Kev0607 Aug 1st, 2021 12:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by HDAV (Post 2758634)
Taxi driver, Freemason, golfist (all of which could be a grandad)

But that would a taxi driving Freemason golfist drive?

Kia are for neurotics, audi for arseholes, bmw for wannabe arseholes, Vauxhall’s for people who don’t want a car, Ford for people with no imagination, mini for people who think they are cool, VW for people who think they know it all, skoda for people who do know it all, Honda for those ready to die, landrover for those who want to be outdoorsie, and a van for those who actually do outdoorsie stuff……all French cars for idiots……...

Stereotypes don’t exist because they don’t happen right…….

In the eyes of most young people, anyone driving a luxury saloon is driving a grandad’s car (hence me saying were Mercedes etc grandad cars too). Its a wrong judgement to make in my opinion… it just shows that young person has good taste & wants comfort.

If it hasn’t got a big exhaust & sounds like its farting going down the road, its not ‘cool’ in certain people’s eyes.

Give me luxury any day, grandad car or not! (I don’t think an S90 is a grandad car by the way).

Wedge0107 Aug 1st, 2021 13:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasC91 (Post 2758594)

What you think.?

Show them this advert...we can all pretend to aspire to our Scandinavian chic ;-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki6gQxn03uU

staffy460 Aug 1st, 2021 14:24

it takes time to appreciate a quality item so your mate maybe right , oh yes im a grandad