Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Volvo Car Press Releases (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Volvo S80 Model Year 2010 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=88471)

Bob Feb 17th, 2010 20:36

Volvo S80 Model Year 2010

The refreshed Volvo S80 for model year 2010 has a tough and exclusive design, while providing top-class fuel consumption and CO2 emissions, performance, driving characteristics and comfort at the same time

Click here to read the full report

Paul Wildsmith Feb 17th, 2010 23:05

hmm, same press report as a year ago when the 2010 models were launched at last years Geneva Motro Show. Perhaps despite my purchase of one last July they've not been selling many?

Magnum357 Feb 20th, 2010 09:24

Paul I have owned 2 Previous S80 T6's. They are great cars. I feel that Volvo get their selling price wrong, too expensive and too close to the cost of a similar BMW or Merc. They did the same thing when they introduced the V70R and S60R the sales were abismal. You can now pick up a S80 V8 2007 for
£14k with 13k miles. What a lot of car for small amount of money. The sales of the S80 V8 have been very low as well. What a shame.

NewVolvo Feb 20th, 2010 14:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnum357 (Post 619768)
The sales of the S80 V8 have been very low as well. What a shame.

In the UK and some other European countries - yes. The V8 is still a big seller in the US.

That V8 is, by the way, one of the most economical V8's ever made.

Clan Feb 20th, 2010 15:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewVolvo (Post 619923)
In the UK and some other European countries - yes. The V8 is still a big seller in the US.

That V8 is, by the way, one of the most economical V8's ever made.

and the cleanest V8 in the world ... uses about the same amount of fuel as a 740 2.3 ... amazing really

Magnum357 Feb 20th, 2010 16:00

I understand the engine is produced and designed by Yamaha & Volvo, so its a Yamaha V8 engine. My Jaguar S Type R 4.2 supercharged, and on the motorway did 28mpg. I understand the Volvo V8 4.4 does about 24 mpg on the motorway. I only do 3 to 4k miles per year so consumption does not mean a lot. I would not touch a BMW ever again and would never buy a Merc. If I change is about 12 months it will be to a S80 V8 with all the bits. and hope it will have sat nav with post codes. LOL

T240 Feb 24th, 2010 19:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 619944)
and the cleanest V8 in the world ... uses about the same amount of fuel as a 740 2.3 ... amazing really

I'm not up to speed with the latest engines, but I know you're pretty hot on this, Clan.

Is the V8 a genuine Volvo engine, or one of the Ford units they farmed out (much modified by them, it must be said) to Jag and Aston, etc? I ask, because I've also heard rumours of Yamaha involvement, as stated above by Magnum.

Cheers,

T

Clan Feb 24th, 2010 20:09

Yes it was developed by Volvo engineers with Yamaha building it . , it has a 60 degree V so very narrow for a V8 . It has a big bore and short stroke hence loves Rpm , max power is at 6500 rpm so will go to 7000 :-) . It is not that powerful for it's capacity ,( same bhp per litre as a citroen C1 ) so lots of potential for tuning ..As far as i know its not used in any ford model ...

Paul Wildsmith Feb 24th, 2010 22:14

I've only drievn the V8 once (for half an hour), but don't remember being supremely impressed by power or sound. Very happy with my present 205bhp D5. The prices of the well specced S80's are several £000's less than just a few years ago, but it does bring them close to (better?) opposition of BMW, Merc, Jaguar.
Went to sit in a Jag XF last week - not keen on the passenger environment, and to spec it to my S80 Exec level would cost about £5K more - but the instant impression of quality of finish and materials was significantly better than Volvo. I will look again ...

T240 Feb 25th, 2010 19:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 622817)
Yes it was developed by Volvo engineers with Yamaha building it . , it has a 60 degree V so very narrow for a V8 . It has a big bore and short stroke hence loves Rpm , max power is at 6500 rpm so will go to 7000 :-) . It is not that powerful for it's capacity ,( same bhp per litre as a citroen C1 ) so lots of potential for tuning ..As far as i know its not used in any ford model ...

Thanks again, Clan - informative as ever :)

Unless my memory is playing tricks, I seem to remember traditional Ferrari V12s run a 60 degree angle, whilst the 2.4 V6 that went in the Dino, and a couple of posh Fiats is 65 degrees.

Just thinking out loud, but I wonder if the motor will go in a 240?

A genuine Volvo 240 V8 would be quite something.

With a billet steel crank that could probably make 9,000 rpm with ease, and open the door to some very serious horsepower.

Here I go again . . .

Cheers,

T

p.s. Paul, from a personal perspective, what I don't like about many modern cars on the passenger side, is the sense of being very exposed.