Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Volvo Car Press Releases (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   No more 5 cylinders from Volvo (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=134272)

richard willetts Nov 18th, 2011 20:01

they'll never be the same without the lovley tone of a 5cyl

Cheradenine Nov 28th, 2011 11:53

I'm afraid you've all missed the only real option for best noise; the Alfa (Arese) V6!
;-) ;-) ;-)
More seriously, the Volvo 5 pot sounds Ok, though it needs a turbo to really prick up the ears. For the NA versions, a big part of it's disadvantage is you've got to wring it out before it becomes tuneful &, at least on my 2.5 20v'er, that's hard work compared to my Alfa 164 (IIRC :-( ), which throbbed just enough to draw you on before it sang from 3-7k.

Volvo2002 Dec 13th, 2011 22:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheradenine (Post 1035559)
I'm afraid you've all missed the only real option for best noise; the Alfa (Arese) V6!
;-) ;-) ;-)
More seriously, the Volvo 5 pot sounds Ok, though it needs a turbo to really prick up the ears. For the NA versions, a big part of it's disadvantage is you've got to wring it out before it becomes tuneful &, at least on my 2.5 20v'er, that's hard work compared to my Alfa 164 (IIRC :-( ), which throbbed just enough to draw you on before it sang from 3-7k.

Disagree on that. The sound of a 5cylinder at full throttle is fantastic.

Cheradenine Dec 17th, 2011 12:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volvo2002 (Post 1047351)
Disagree on that. The sound of a 5cylinder at full throttle is fantastic.

For me though, that's the problem; the (NA) Volvo 5 pot doesn't sound enthusiastic until you get over 3k, but the Alfa V6 sounded muscular from idle to redline.
I was going round the Bristol ring road in the Alfa some years ago, in the outside lane I got held up by a boy racer in a saxo or corsa. Kept a proper distance, but after a moment or 2, dropped it into 3rd (still sitting back), at which boy racer pulled straight in ;-)
Wouldn't expect to get the same result in the Volvo; to be fair though, the Volvo's better turning circle is a real benefit in town.

Volvo2002 Dec 17th, 2011 13:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheradenine (Post 1049879)
For me though, that's the problem; the (NA) Volvo 5 pot doesn't sound enthusiastic until you get over 3k, but the Alfa V6 sounded muscular from idle to redline.
I was going round the Bristol ring road in the Alfa some years ago, in the outside lane I got held up by a boy racer in a saxo or corsa. Kept a proper distance, but after a moment or 2, dropped it into 3rd (still sitting back), at which boy racer pulled straight in ;-)
Wouldn't expect to get the same result in the Volvo; to be fair though, the Volvo's better turning circle is a real benefit in town.

I always liked the sound of the 850 we had when it was started. It had a nice thrum.

Can't blame you for liking those alfas. The engines do indeed sound fantastic.