Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Volvo Car Press Releases (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   No more 5 cylinders from Volvo (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=134272)

Palmer Sep 25th, 2011 21:40

2 stroke diesel?? :)

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Skip to 1.55.

or this one :)

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Daim Sep 26th, 2011 12:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palmer (Post 992218)
2 stroke diesel?? :)

+ YouTube Video

Skip to 1.55.

or this one :)

+ YouTube Video

That grain truck is in my favorites... The same as this Commer 2-stroker!

[u2b]6wol_U4mkjs[/u2b]

Chesh740R Sep 27th, 2011 21:38

I love the distinctive noise a 5 Pot makes myself, Loved the sound as a kid in the 80s watching the UR Quattros rallying.

JamesV70R Sep 28th, 2011 16:44

Owned 2 5-cylinder engined cars now - can't beat it!

Has anyone actually got a link to a source RE Volvo no longer producing 5-cyl?

Matt01 Sep 28th, 2011 19:42

yes, the 5 cylinder is a great engine, but the importance is that its an inline engine, as long as it is, it should be great... mmm inline 8!

Daim Sep 29th, 2011 17:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt01 (Post 994238)
yes, the 5 cylinder is a great engine, but the importance is that its an inline engine, as long as it is, it should be great... mmm inline 8!

Oh... Yeah! Inline 8 cylinder... Yummy! Best from Packard or so :D

Volvo2002 Sep 30th, 2011 00:08

Sheds tear.

I remember my mothers 92 850 GLT. The sound from that engine, wowzers

dme123 Oct 3rd, 2011 16:00

My 2003 V70 T5 is actually my first experience of 5 pot engines after a series of 6, 8s and 12s. My first impression was that it was as rough as a bag of spanners - seems worse than a counterbalanced four, with all sorts of funny harmonics and vibrations as the revs build. Closer to a 4 pot than a 6 in character and refinement I think. Power delivery is smoother than a four, presumably due to the small overlap between power strokes, but that's always smoothed out by the torque converter anyway.

Oddly, it sounds very coarse inside the car but from the outside it actually sounds quite smooth and nice!

Still, it's always sad to see something a bit different go by the wayside.

fenton_jd Oct 3rd, 2011 19:04

Sod this downsizing malarky.

Why is nobody making engines whereby cylinders and turbos can be switched off?

Imagine a V8 with a light pressure turbo which could be manipulated via the dashboard controls to run in any of these configurations:

- 8 cylinders on, Turbo switched on for maximum power
- 8 cylinders on , Turbo switched off for best engine sound
- 4 cylinders off, Turbo switched off for maximum economy
- 4 cylinders off, turbo switched on for decent pulling power vs economy.

We have the computer technolgy to remap our engines with our own laptops these days, so im suprised it hasnt been done yet.

JamesV70R Oct 3rd, 2011 23:00

The Yanks on a few of their big V8 motors are capable of turning 4 of the cylinders off, making a V4 for "low power" applications like cruising, idling etc, yet you get the full 8 when you need it.

Technology won't make it over here as not that many "daily drivers" have big V8's in them ... Noone that I know drives them anyway!