Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   V70 D5 Auto No Drive - Diagnosing 2007 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=322330)

bluebossa Dec 24th, 2021 21:31

V70 D5 Auto No Drive - Diagnosing 2007

4 Attachment(s)
Howdy again,

A while since I've been on, had a P1 but sold it Pic of before and after attached Black one, was fun doing it.
Noow just pressed the trigger on a P2 2007 D5 Auto - Sport Model - with No drive...

I haven't got hold of it yet, but just wanted some very high level info on what way to tackle this... is it always a duff Auto or could bad fluid cause no drive?

Mileage 133,500

Once I trailer it back is there any steps I could try to see if I can get it moving again, or should I just ship it to a local transmission place?

Any idea on costs for a Recon Auto supply and fit? - recommendations of places that you trust in the North West/Cheshire ideally... Thanks

Simmy Dec 25th, 2021 12:24

to remove and re con auto box is abt 2k . it might be cheaper to find a replacement box

abdiel Dec 25th, 2021 13:04

Why on earth did you sell the P1?

john493 Dec 25th, 2021 20:28

That should be a TF80 6 speed auto.
Unlikely that old fluid alone would give no drive at all.
I'd be checking the driveshafts first & plug into VIDA.

bluebossa Dec 26th, 2021 11:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simmy (Post 2795514)
to remove and re con auto box is abt 2k . it might be cheaper to find a replacement box

Yep, quick search came up with that from Hortons £1,300 plus fitting - £2k...

Read a few posts about the pot luck of Auto gearboxes from eBay and the like... any suggestions on finding a good one?

bluebossa Dec 26th, 2021 12:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by abdiel (Post 2795517)
Why on earth did you sell the P1?

Yes, I often think that, I got given a Company car and lost the drive slot so it had to go... no space to keep at the time as was living in a small rental house with no Garage or real drive...

I've moved now so have more space to keep...

bluebossa Dec 26th, 2021 12:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by john493 (Post 2795555)
That should be a TF80 6 speed auto.
Unlikely that old fluid alone would give no drive at all.
I'd be checking the driveshafts first & plug into VIDA.

Thanks - so driveshafts, didn't think of that... do they often go?
I just jumped at the conclusion that it would be the box...

john493 Dec 26th, 2021 13:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluebossa (Post 2795610)
Thanks - so driveshafts, didn't think of that... do they often go?
I just jumped at the conclusion that it would be the box...

Driveshafts are a relatively quick check so just take a look first - most likely the transmission but where you have complete loss of drive the shafts are a possible failure.

stuart bowes Dec 26th, 2021 13:06

this might be a really silly suggestion but if it was me.. i might try putting the front end up on stands and having it in drive

my reasoning being, that if there is some drive shaft issue (surely not both sides?) then taking the weight of car / ground friction out of the equation you might see some wheel movement..

it would cost nothing to try at least. and then being up the air you get to have a look underneath and try having it in park and turn the wheels to see if the driveshafts make any funny noises

bluebossa Dec 26th, 2021 14:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by stuart bowes (Post 2795621)
this might be a really silly suggestion but if it was me.. i might try putting the front end up on stands and having it in drive

my reasoning being, that if there is some drive shaft issue (surely not both sides?) then taking the weight of car / ground friction out of the equation you might see some wheel movement..

it would cost nothing to try at least. and then being up the air you get to have a look underneath and try having it in park and turn the wheels to see if the driveshafts make any funny noises

Hey Stuart thanks, no such thing as a silly suggestion, I've not got the car yet so that sounds like a very practical first step - thank you... I'll make sure to post what I find...