Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   V40/XC '12>17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=194)
-   -   What exactly is the difference between the DriveE T2,T3&T5? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=246751)

one_happy_hippy Mar 15th, 2016 14:00

What exactly is the difference between the DriveE T2,T3&T5?

What exactly is the difference between the DriveE T2, T3 and T5 engines
Looking to add a V40 R design to the fleet to save clocking up to many miles on my S60R.

I would just go for a T5 however I want a manual gearbox. So it's likely that it'll have to be a T2/T3.

However I would like to know if anyone knows what the difference between the the T2 B4204T8, T3 B4204T37 and the T5 B4204T11 engines actually is.

The specs list for all of them
Engine Capacity 1969 cc
Engine Bore 82 mm
Engine Stroke 93.2 mm

So the bore and stroke are the same, so is it a different turbo or simply the software?

If its simply the software can you ecu tune these engines up? The older 1.6l T3 (Ford Eco Boost engine) can tune up to approx 180bhp so I was wondering what can be done with the Drive-E seeing as the T5 puts out 245bhp.

Cheers

honeybear Mar 17th, 2016 20:18

whats the Difference

Hi
I have the T2 1.6 petrol and have been trying to find out the same thing.I know the engine is a Ford, but what exactly have Volvo done to the engine. Have they bolted the turbo onto the block? If so what other modifications if any have Volvo done?
Had mine now for 5 months and really pleased 35mpg round town :( but get on the Dual Carridgeway MPG shot up to 50+ mpg :)
Back onto the subject any one help.

Marc01 Mar 17th, 2016 21:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by one_happy_hippy (Post 2077939)
What exactly is the difference between the DriveE T2, T3 and T5 engines
Looking to add a V40 R design to the fleet to save clocking up to many miles on my S60R.

I would just go for a T5 however I want a manual gearbox. So it's likely that it'll have to be a T2/T3.

However I would like to know if anyone knows what the difference between the the T2 B4204T8, T3 B4204T37 and the T5 B4204T11 engines actually is.

The specs list for all of them
Engine Capacity 1969 cc
Engine Bore 82 mm
Engine Stroke 93.2 mm

So the bore and stroke are the same, so is it a different turbo or simply the software?

If its simply the software can you ecu tune these engines up? The older 1.6l T3 (Ford Eco Boost engine) can tune up to approx 180bhp so I was wondering what can be done with the Drive-E seeing as the T5 puts out 245bhp.

Cheers

It's not as simple as an ecu remap, maybe you can remap a T2 to T3 but the T5 as far as I am aware is a different thing with probably among other things bigger turbo set up and bigger brakes

Rooster Mar 17th, 2016 23:19

Not sure about the petrols as not really seen enough to compare,

But the diesels use differant injectors depending on the spec of the engine,

There isn't actually a massive amount of differance between the petrol and diesel VED engine blocks

7050man Mar 21st, 2016 20:12

Geartronic T2/T3 are 1.5Ltr. all others are 2.0L.

That's all I know.

I've got a T3 Geartronic. Brilliant.

Volvophile Mar 28th, 2016 00:35

You won't be missing out on anything by not going for the T5.

One of the most disappointing performance cars I've driven. You could forgive it if it still at least had the 5 cylinder sound, but it doesn't.

tonymcb Apr 4th, 2016 20:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7050man (Post 2081359)
Geartronic T2/T3 are 1.5Ltr. all others are 2.0L.

That's all I know.

I've got a T3 Geartronic. Brilliant.

I drive a V50 D5 2.4 litre geartronic diesel and was wanting to drop down to a smaller engine V40 but stay with auto
what MPG do you get round the doors and on a run

RoyMacDonald Apr 10th, 2016 22:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeybear (Post 2079285)
Hi
I have the T2 1.6 petrol and have been trying to find out the same thing.I know the engine is a Ford, but what exactly have Volvo done to the engine. Have they bolted the turbo onto the block? If so what other modifications if any have Volvo done?
Had mine now for 5 months and really pleased 35mpg round town :( but get on the Dual Carridgeway MPG shot up to 50+ mpg :)
Back onto the subject any one help.

Ford sold Volvo 6 years ago. There are no Ford parts in a V40. The Focus used a version of the chassis Volvo designed for the Focus and the V40 before they were sold to Geely. The V40 chassis is longer though.

The T2 engine is designed by Volvo and made in Sweden.

Volvo Press Release...

Quote:

Direct injection with spray-dosage multi-hole injectors

For its 1.6-liters engines, Volvo has chosen to position each injector centrally above the piston, just beside the spark plug. The injectors have six holes each, somewhat unusual for centrally positioned injectors. This gives particularly uniform and finely atomized fuel distribution.

The centrally located multi-hole injector makes it possible to control fuel dosage extremely precisely. In cold starts, the fuel is sprayed into the middle of the combustion chamber just prior to ignition. The high fuel injection pressure of 100 bar means that preparation is perfect and less fuel ends up on the cold combustion chamber walls. This helps cut emissions and considerably reduces the amount of fuel consumed. Another effect is a major reduction in the amount of soot particulates compared with a side-positioned injector.
In cold starts, this injection technology also contributes to quick heating of the catalytic converter, which in turn hastens the exhaust cleaning process.
Direct injection gives a high fill rate in the combustion chamber. Apart from effective combustion and low emissions, this also helps the turbo start up earlier and provides swift response even from low engine revs. This in turn promotes fast acceleration and good driveability from low speeds.

"This is the most modern injection technology in existence and Volvo played a major role in its development," says Magnus Jonsson. "Our cooperation with Bosch, which manufactures the system, has been ongoing for a number of years and is highly successful."

7050man Jul 18th, 2016 21:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonymcb (Post 2089083)
I drive a V50 D5 2.4 litre geartronic diesel and was wanting to drop down to a smaller engine V40 but stay with auto
what MPG do you get round the doors and on a run

Sorry for late reply but not been on forum for a while. Anyway around town is between 35 and 40mpg. ON the run if you can keep moving i.e. motorway, you should get around 50mpg at about 70, but if you keep below 60 then this will go up to mid 50s.
Interestingly, the eco plus button disengages the gear box when you lift off and the car idles as it coasts along. soon drops into gear if brakes or throttle touched though.

It also changes up quicker with lower revs although kick down still works ok. I should add that my car is not fully loosened up yet as has only done 3k miles.

I had a drive V50 and managed to average approx 65mpg over the life of that car so I expect this one to improve once I've got used to driving it. Performance is good though.