Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   200 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   240 General: Planning on buying a 240 this summer, any advice? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=316419)

Laird Scooby May 3rd, 2021 12:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by john.wigley (Post 2733739)
And far less complex to sort out if ever they do go wrong ... :regular_smile: J.

Not to mention the fact that 240s have character unlike the soul-less Euroblobs from 2000 onwards................ :thumbs-up:

Stephen Edwin May 3rd, 2021 13:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Othen (Post 2733729)
Ah. I hope he/she comes back to have a look at 240s.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laird Scooby (Post 2733730)
Time will tell! They are at least more reliable than the modern stuff! :thumbs_up:

Quote:

Originally Posted by john.wigley (Post 2733739)
And far less complex to sort out if ever they do go wrong ... :regular_smile: J.

John that is very true. :tr-yes:

These forums do however witness that when 240s go wrong diagnosis can be a long trail. The idea that these cars are easy olde things is wrong. That is mainly why it becomes difficult to choose a garage to work on these cars. They don't have the relevant training and experience.

It reminds me of plumbing. A plumber (engaged by mistake as a distress purchase) gives up re a stop tap installed in 1914. A traditional chap re-packs the olde stop tap and departs having asked for a modest payment, We paid him more.

P.S.

The usual name for a stop tap appeared to be censored by forum software .... oops.

Perhaps stop coq ...
:tr-wink:

Stephen.

Laird Scooby May 3rd, 2021 14:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin (Post 2733779)
The usual name for a stop tap appeared to be censored by forum software .... oops.

Perhaps stop coq ...
:tr-wink:

Stephen.

Substitute a zero fot the letter o in c0ck and the forum software doesn't stop it.

Stephen Edwin May 3rd, 2021 16:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laird Scooby (Post 2733795)
Substitute a zero fot the letter o in c0ck and the forum software doesn't stop it.

Indeed so.

But a q for ck makes the point, a little eloquently, perhaps.

:tr-smile:

Stephen

john.wigley May 3rd, 2021 16:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin (Post 2733828)
Indeed so.

Stephen

As in coq au vin, n'est-ce pas?! J.

Laird Scooby May 3rd, 2021 16:57

Quote:

Indeed so.

Stephen

Whichever floats your boat unless you happen to be "on the Coq" aka the Coquihalla Highway and then it's pronounced "coke".

It's a problem with American derived profanity blocking software as many of the words that we find "offensive" are not to them and vice versa.
There are many examples i could cite but firstly that's not the purpose of this thread and secondly this one is probably the most fruitless of the censorship it creates as there are so many words in our version of English that use this word such as pea-, shuttle-, stop-, -erel (known as a rooster stateside), -tail and so the list goes on.

john.wigley May 3rd, 2021 17:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laird Scooby (Post 2733838)
Whichever floats your boat unless you happen to be "on the Coq" aka the Coquihalla Highway and then it's pronounced "coke".

It's a problem with American derived profanity blocking software as many of the words that we find "offensive" are not to them and vice versa.
There are many examples i could cite but firstly that's not the purpose of this thread and secondly this one is probably the most fruitless of the censorship it creates as there are so many words in our version of English that use this word such as pea-, shuttle-, stop-, -erel (known as a rooster stateside), -tail and so the list goes on.

Oh, I don't know, 'L.S.', most threads digress to a greater or lesser extent, so why should this one be any different? :regular_smile:

Anyway, as you've thrown down the gauntlet... What about --a-hoop, -pit, -apoo, -atoo - how many more can we find? We need something to brighten up a cold and wet B H Monday when we aren't either driving or fettling our respective Volvos!

Regards, John.

Laird Scooby May 3rd, 2021 19:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by john.wigley (Post 2733854)
Oh, I don't know, 'L.S.', most threads digress to a greater or lesser extent, so why should this one be any different? :regular_smile:

Anyway, as you've thrown down the gauntlet... What about --a-hoop, -pit, -apoo, -atoo - how many more can we find? We need something to brighten up a cold and wet B H Monday when we aren't either driving or fettling our respective Volvos!

Regards, John.

Good point John! :laughing-smiley-003

No gauntlets were intended to be harmed and to be honest, my mind has gone blank now. Didn't manage to drive, fettle or anything else on my Volvo today, weather was more like early winter than late spring! :rolleyes:

Stephen Edwin May 4th, 2021 11:55

Quote:

Indeed so.

Quote:

Originally Posted by john.wigley (Post 2733834)

As in coq au vin, n'est-ce pas?! J.

Yes exactly so :tr-yes:

Thank you John.

Stephen

venomtail May 4th, 2021 12:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laird Scooby (Post 2733588)
Exactly what i was thinking on both counts Alan, surprised he hasn't commented further on here, he was last on the forum on 29th April :

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/member.php?u=206732

Maybe he hasn't got his notifications set up to give instant email notification to threads he starts and/or is subscribed to?

Oh wow, I've missed loads, thought the thread went quiet at the end of April. Only now I've received a notification in my email saying that there's one new reply. Hasn't updated me in the last few days, even when I've set the thread subscription as "instant email."

Quote:

Originally Posted by Othen (Post 2732967)
With respect Venomtail, I think Loki is right and this type of motor car would suit your needs far better than a pre-79 one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184787836...MAAOSwfCNggxbU

... This will be far cheaper than an historic car, far more efficient, much better for touring trips to Europe, easier to get spares for, seems to have been well looked after and so on (this is just an example I found on eBay, I'm not selling the car!).

Good fortune.

Alan

I think the logical decition would be to go with a newer version but with all respect, they're not the lookers. There's only so many rectangles I can handle, need a few circles as well :tounge_smile:

Been looking at places like Scandinavia and Finland, even Spain and Italy where there were what looked like completely rust free 240's being sold.