Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Electrics: Volvo 2003 XC90 electrical issues (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=322434)

k saunders Dec 30th, 2021 19:25

Volvo 2003 XC90 electrical issues

Hi All. I have a 2003 xc90.
Today I put the key into the ignition all the lights came on but it failed to turn over, lights dimmed but no go. Can I ask if anybody has any thoughts. cheers.

S60D5-185 Dec 30th, 2021 19:49

Battery? Have you tested it?

TruckbusUK Dec 30th, 2021 20:47

On the same theme, loose terminal connectors, any work been done on the car recently?

Darrenw Dec 30th, 2021 21:51

Have a similar problem with mine at the moment and diagnosed it today as a stuck ac pulley. The pulley is so stuck that it shredded a rib off of the aux belt and stops the crank turning.
I would also still check the obvious such as starter motor, earths and battery. I also know that Volvos can be strange with key battery’s, sometimes when the key battery is low the immobiliser doesn’t like it.

XC90Mk1 Dec 30th, 2021 21:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darrenw (Post 2796524)
Have a similar problem with mine at the moment and diagnosed it today as a stuck ac pulley. The pulley is so stuck that it shredded a rib off of the aux belt and stops the crank turning.
I would also still check the obvious such as starter motor, earths and battery. I also know that Volvos can be strange with key battery’s, sometimes when the key battery is low the immobiliser doesn’t like it.

Really interesting post, I had not thought it would prevent the crank turning! That’s a really sieved AC!

Good luck with the repair.

My initial thought to op is battery or earth issues?

Darrenw Dec 30th, 2021 22:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 (Post 2796527)
Really interesting post, I had not thought it would prevent the crank turning! That’s a really sieved AC!

When I tried to crank the car all pulleys would turn except the ac one. The Tension was so tight that all the pulleys would only manage to turn about 1 quarter rotation. Took me a while to diagnose as it was a strange problem. At one point I really thought my engine had seized Or time went seriously wrong. But turned out to be a fairly cheap easy ish fix.

SwissXC90 Dec 31st, 2021 11:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darrenw (Post 2796524)
sometimes when the key battery is low the immobiliser doesn’t like it.

Impossible. the key battery has nothing whatsoever to do with the immobilizer.

The immobilizer transponder is fully passive, it does not run on the key battery. It is powered by the ring antenna around the ignition lock.

The key battery powers only the remote central locking and unlocking.

wynnj Dec 31st, 2021 11:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 (Post 2796527)

Have experienced the same on two cars over the years - first on a S60 and secondly on a Toyota Celica. in both cases the AC compressor had seized. Easy fix but you need the system degassed before disconnecting the pipes.

Darrenw Dec 31st, 2021 15:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwissXC90 (Post 2796578)
Impossible. the key battery has nothing whatsoever to do with the immobilizer.

The immobilizer transponder is fully passive, it does not run on the key battery. It is powered by the ring antenna around the ignition lock.

The key battery powers only the remote central locking and unlocking.

I would have thought the same for any other car but for some reason there are quite a few cases of Volvos not starting just because of a dead key. Seems more common on xc90 though.

SwissXC90 Jan 1st, 2022 07:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darrenw (Post 2796601)
I would have thought the same for any other car but for some reason there are quite a few cases of Volvos not starting just because of a dead key. Seems more common on xc90 though.

A dead key due to a dead transponder can cause a no start condition.
But a dead key due to a dead key battery can still start the car.