Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   V70 Wheels/Tyres: "security" wheel nuts (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=87473)

couch2906 Jan 10th, 2010 18:52

"security" wheel nuts

Hi all,

Decided to swap front and rear tyres recently. Took off driver side and swapped relatively easily. On attempting to change the near side the security nut was refusing to shift. not wanting to make things worse I nipped off to local tyre company to get them to remove. This proved to be impossible so I elected to change the other side back and sort the whole lot out later. On attempting to remove the wheel that I had changed an hour before the security nut fell to pieces. So I now have different tyres on different axles. Hopefully getting it sorted tomorrow.

Thankfully this was not a side of the road/puncture scenario and could have been a lot worse. The design of these nut seems to me to be particularly hopeless, and they are all going in the bin asap.

Might be an idea to check (bin) these before you end up stuck in the back of beyond with a flat and no means of removing the wheel.

Cheers

Dynosaur Jan 11th, 2010 10:31

Not quite sure what it is you're asking for, but these are said to get them off without issue : -

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...oductId_196491

couch2906 Jan 11th, 2010 12:37

Cheers fella.

Not asking for anything. Just a warning about the inherent design fault by Volvo that has the potential to leave owners stranded with no means of wheel removal.

Thanks

Clan Jan 11th, 2010 13:04

These nuts are used by all major european motor vehicle manufacturers , BMW ford Volvo etc and are made by McGuard of germany . Those halfords removal tools will not work with the volvo ones used after 2003 .
The wheels tend to bond to the hubs too , so a good idea to take the wheels off twice a year , clean up the central mount and inside of the wheel bore with a wire brush and smear with copper grease before re fitting the wheel and then smear the wheel nut taper with the same copper grease and last but not least torque up the locking nuts to the specified torque you will have no problems then .. basicly its neglect causing our wheel nut problems .. and no its not part of the annual service to do this .

ctautos Jan 11th, 2010 13:07

if any one has three-wheeling locking nut"s put them
in the bin. you put a socket over and do it that way

oldgit63 Jan 11th, 2010 19:39

nuts off cheese

I think it is a good idea ,to change original locking bolts A.S.A.P. Last year i had the same problem. Mine is a P2 V70 2001 and after a few years taking them off and on damages them ,to a point when they slip off and can then render them useless. So i purchased a set of aftermarket locking bolts by Mountney. Now ok. Also with the wheel off put a smear of Copperslip on hub or disc face,and on the bolts ,then next time it will be easy peasy. TREVOR. :car:

T5dream Feb 22nd, 2010 10:15

Shared off locking wheel nuts

I had problem of tyre fitter using pneumatic gun on locking wheel nut and left me high and dry, with no facility to remove and they sent me to competitor and they removed it without charge.

I had spent hours trying to drill out the shared off one and knocking the nearest size socket on the shared off piece, don't even go there, these take the edge off drills and make no indentation.

Due to this experience, I now remove locking wheel nuts myself before I let tyre fitters loose on my car, there is no chance of them sharing them off, only me!

As the tyre fitters took it on chin and paid my cost for new set of locking nuts and replacement key ordered from McGard in Germany, I now have set of 3 old locking wheel nuts and the new key if anyone wants them. (V70 MY2005)

The twice yearly clean up and cooper grease idea sounds good idea 'Clan', thank you.

jackass Feb 22nd, 2010 10:35

I know Clan hasn't said to, but do NOT be tempted to copper grease the threads of the wheels bolts; this will cause you all manner of problems.

pdrvolvo Feb 22nd, 2010 11:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackass (Post 621146)
I know Clan hasn't said to, but do NOT be tempted to copper grease the threads of the wheels bolts; this will cause you all manner of problems.

how so ?

peter.

Dynosaur Feb 22nd, 2010 11:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackass (Post 621146)

Yeah, how so ?

A pretty bold statement not to qualify.