Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   200 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   240 General: Is my 240 odd? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=322370)

Danielanthelions Dec 27th, 2021 20:21

Is my 240 odd?

Hello,
I am sorry for my lack of understanding in my first post here and thanks for letting me join, but I have a 240gl 200e 5 speed, registered in 1990, but it is k tonic injection?
I thought this sort of injection was replaced in 1984?
This is causing me problems as the wiring diagrams available for 90/89 just don't seem to match it and the closest I've found that does is for the GLT from 1984.
I have an issue of the fuel pump cables and relay get really hot, i have a new fuel pump both main and in tank replaced, plus the fuel filters, but it still doesn't feel like there is enough fuel pressure as it barley starts?
I hope you can help or know why this model doesn't match.
thanks,

Clan Dec 27th, 2021 22:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danielanthelions (Post 2795883)
Hello,
I am sorry for my lack of understanding in my first post here and thanks for letting me join, but I have a 240gl 200e 5 speed, registered in 1990, but it is k tonic injection?
This is causing me problems as the wiring diagrams available for 90/89 just don't seem to match it and the closest I've found that does is for the GLT from 1984.
I have an issue of the fuel pump cables and relay get really hot, i have a new fuel pump both main and in tank replaced, plus the fuel filters, but it still doesn't feel like there is enough fuel pressure as it barley starts?
thanks,

Your car was the year they changed over from K jetronic to electronic fuel injection . It is probably a 1989 model year ... so have a look at a 1989 wiring diagram, fuel pressure checks require the volvo fuel pressure gauge and pipes and adapters and a 2 way tap ., a general purpose K jetronic fuel pressure gauge kit may have those included .

Initial starting uses a separate injector on the inlet manifold controlled by a thermal time switch on the back of the cylinder block . as soon as you let go of the starter key the cold start injector cuts off .

classicswede Dec 30th, 2021 09:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danielanthelions (Post 2795883)
Hello,
thanks,

1990 is the first year of LH2.4 so you see some 1990 models with K jet and some with LH

When you replaced the main pump did you get the correct high pressure pump or were you sent just a normal fuel injection pump? Normal FI pumps do not make enough pressure for K jetronic

Clan Dec 30th, 2021 10:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicswede (Post 2796382)
1990 is the first year of LH2.4 so you see some 1990 models with K jet and some with LH

When you replaced the main pump did you get the correct high pressure pump or were you sent just a normal fuel injection pump? Normal FI pumps do not make enough pressure for K jetronic

Indeed , the hot wires could be the pump for the later 35 psi system trying hard to produce the 75 psi needed for the K jetronic and drawing too much current and not able to reach the high pressure needed .