Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Coolant colour (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=326337)

100K+ Jul 3rd, 2022 10:09

Coolant colour

Apologise if this has been round before, but Son-in-law's 2017MY S60T4 flashed "low coolant" when going round roundabouts. Checking level showed level at Min. I have some Genuine Volvo coolant (Part No.9437650) and told him to bring the car and we could top it up.
BUT.. 9437650 is Blue
The stuff in his car is green.
The best I've been able to discover is Volvo changed the part number to 31439720, but did they change the product, and is it now green ??
I discovered something in coolants called "OAT" -organic acid technology. There are claims you can't mix OAT with non-OAT coolants - understandable, but the 9437650 coolant has no references at all to being OAT/non-OAT

So can you mix genuine Volvo Blue and green coolants? and is what I have said above correct??

Our temporary solution was to add a mug of distilled water to the header tank, which will keep the warning light from returning, until we get to the bottom of the main question.

The matter was further complicated when I checked my 2015MY V70 D5 and its coolant was a pale yellow! (Unchanged since new but at the last service it passed Si Robb's Freezing and electrical tests.)

Cheers
Bob

SnineT Jul 3rd, 2022 11:28

The correct answer is ditch your coolant and get the correct one from ECP for about £5 PL,

If you take my advice it cost you a fiver and 2 minutes work, if you try to use the stuff you have it might not mix properly and you'll need 6L of new stuff and an hour or so to flush the system, think of your knuckles man :eek:

Clan Jul 3rd, 2022 21:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by 100K+ (Post 2832151)
Apologise if this has been round before, but Son-in-law's 2017MY S60T4 flashed "low coolant" when going round roundabouts. Checking level showed level at Min. I have some Genuine Volvo coolant (Part No.9437650) and told him to bring the car and we could top it up.
BUT.. 9437650 is Blue
The stuff in his car is green.
The best I've been able to discover is Volvo changed the part number to 31439720, but did they change the product, and is it now green ??
I discovered something in coolants called "OAT" -organic acid technology. There are claims you can't mix OAT with non-OAT coolants - understandable, but the 9437650 coolant has no references at all to being OAT/non-OAT

So can you mix genuine Volvo Blue and green coolants? and is what I have said above correct??

Our temporary solution was to add a mug of distilled water to the header tank, which will keep the warning light from returning, until we get to the bottom of the main question.

The matter was further complicated when I checked my 2015MY V70 D5 and its coolant was a pale yellow! (Unchanged since new but at the last service it passed Si Robb's Freezing and electrical tests.)

Cheers
Bob

the newer volvo coolant is indeed blue , bit if you dont know what it is in the car why not change it ? volvo coolant is on par with motor factor coolants pricewise and doesn't need changing .