Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Spare wheel installation (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=326100)

Constantinos Jun 19th, 2022 23:30

Spare wheel installation

Hi everyone.
I have a 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 (with 56 plate)
I noticed after jacking it up one day that it doesn’t have a spare wheel underneath.
I want to ask, how to install a spare wheel.
My car is not an r design

john langrick Jun 20th, 2022 07:53

Hi, so long as you don't have an exhaust each side, you should be able to fit the space saver wheel the rest of us have. There are loads for sale on the bay and you should be able to buy a decent one without too much rust.

They get that was as they can easily be left and never used.

They are suspended on a cable assembly which is raised and lowered by a spigot in the center of where you will see the wheel would locate.

You need to check if this assembly is there still.

It is raised and lowered by a crank handle you should find on your jacking kit under the floor in the boot.

Details are in your user manual, mine is on page 126 'Chainging wheels'.

Hope this helps

John l

S60D5-185 Jun 20th, 2022 19:49

John is absolutely correct BUT on my 2007 XC90 it had no spare wheel, no winch, no jack and no winding handle .

All of this had been replaced from new with a stupid can of gloop and a compressor.

I bought a used winch and space saver off ebay as I had no faith whatsoever i the alternative .

Looking underneath, if there is no evidence of a steel cable and winch you have the same stupid system that mine came with ( probably no longer even with the car ) and I would strongly suggest that you buy the bits to upgrade to a space saver.

This is the winch that you will need.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275288602...8AAOSwdaxiZ680

Constantinos Jun 20th, 2022 22:45

Thank you for your replies, unfortunately, I am like S60D5-185, in that my xc90 doesn't have a dual exhaust but still doesn't have the spare wheel.
How would I go about installing the winch and what other parts would I need apart from the winch?

S60D5-185 Jun 20th, 2022 23:27

You need a usedspace saver wheel, jack, and winch
If you remove rear interior floor panel ( it lifts out ) you will see a blanking plate where the winch would normally go. This gets removed and winch installed in its place. Make sure that any winch you buy matches the outline of the removed blanking plate. I believe that thereare2 different types of winch so get. correct one.
Not a bad job and well worth doing.

Prices vary enormously. I paidŁ60 ford wheel and winch .

Good luck.👍

Constantinos Jun 20th, 2022 23:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by S60D5-185 (Post 2830302)
You need a usedspace saver wheel, jack, and winch
If you remove rear interior floor panel ( it lifts out ) you will see a blanking plate where the winch would normally go. This gets removed and winch installed in its place. Make sure that any winch you buy matches the outline of the removed blanking plate. I believe that thereare2 different types of winch so get. correct one.
Not a bad job and well worth doing.

Prices vary enormously. I paidŁ60 ford wheel and winch .

Good luck.👍

Is the blanking plate below the battery?

S60D5-185 Jun 21st, 2022 07:21

No, look between the centre seat rails of the rearmost seats. Itsdirectly in the centre of the actual spare wheel well. 😀

Constantinos Jun 21st, 2022 20:58

Does the winch need a handle or something?

S60D5-185 Jun 21st, 2022 23:09

Yes, it's a simple bar with a hook on the end.

Constantinos Jun 21st, 2022 23:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by S60D5-185 (Post 2830451)
Yes, it's a simple bar with a hook on the end.

I can’t seem to find any mention of such a bar.
Might anyone have a link or a part number.
Thank you