Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Diesel Engines (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   D5244T5 oil temp live data (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=338516)

Pachooo Mar 2nd, 2024 10:24

D5244T5 oil temp live data

Hello everyone,

I have an S60 with engine code D5244T5 and 6-gear manual trans.
I am planing to go some trackdays, but I am worried about to harm the car by overheating of engine and transmission oil for example
Is there a way to read out real time data about these information? I tried some cheap OBD2 readers with mobile apps, but they could not work
Probably engine temp should not be a problem as there is a sensor for it, but i am not sure what is going on with the transmission
Is there any kit like CanChecked existing for this engine?
Also oil pressure would be a good thing to see

Thanks for the help!

johnnyoro Mar 2nd, 2024 10:31

Hi the carscanner app and a reasonably inexpensive obd 2 connector works fine on the later 4cyl engines and I believe from conversations on the other forums that the live data you want should be available too.
Hope this helps

Clan Mar 2nd, 2024 13:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pachooo (Post 2938762)
Hello everyone,

I am planing to go some trackdays, but I am worried about to harm the car by overheating of engine and transmission oil for example
Is there a way to read out real time data about these information? I tried some cheap OBD2 readers with mobile apps, but they could not work
Probably engine temp should not be a problem as there is a sensor for it, but i am not sure what is going on with the transmission

Thanks for the help!

The engine has a standard oil cooler.... I don't think you will have any worries ! he gearbox has plenty of oil and a big heavy duty alloy casing which will get rid of the small amount of heat generated. The car is designed for continuous use at its maximum speed.

Clan Mar 2nd, 2024 13:35

Quote:

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the help!

The engine has a standard oil cooler.... I don't think you will have any worries ! he gearbox has plenty of oil and a big heavy duty alloy casing which will get rid of the small amount of heat generated. The car is designed for continuous use at its maximum speed.

5cilinder Mar 3rd, 2024 08:32

Quote:

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the help!

From 2007/2008 engines you can readout oil temperature with a CAN scanner
and with vida all the engines but its a bit clumsy .
The runs i did on the autobahn it stays under 105 celsius which is pretty good the coolant/oil heatexchanger has good capacity and also some crankcase airspeed cooling
Also note that the temperature is measured in the crankcase but the oil passes first through the heatexchanger before entering the engine probably lowering the oiltemperature a bit more.
To be fair high constant autobahn speeds are something different then a trackday where there is a lot of braking and accellerating .
Also used oilquality plays a hugh role a fueldilluted 0w30 a5/b5is different then a a4/b4 5w40 filmstrength wise and zincdope wise