Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   200 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Body/Trim: Perishing Seal! (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=325622)

DJ May 25th, 2022 07:56

Perishing Seal!

3 Attachment(s)
This applies to older non-240 older models too-

Newly acquired 1985 245, rained almost every day since bringing it home. The rear side windows are collecting moisture in the lower rear corners.
I suspect, to some degree, this is part of the design.

The problem is, water is penetrating the LH and there is a slight drip onto the panel covering the spare wheel. The seals probably need replacing.

Question:-

In the absence of new seals, does one:

a) Use a proprietary sealant and attempt to stop water getting in?

b) Let the water in but make sure it gets out?

c) Does anyone have a miracle cure not covered above?!

I thank you...

Familyman 90 May 25th, 2022 08:04

I had this with mine many, many moons ago back in the eighties. Ideally a new seal, properly fitted, is the cure, but if none are available...

In my case I was only months from moving the car on, so I left it in the sun for a few days to dry out thoroughly and sealed it with Sikaflex EBT, which is a combined filler, sealer and bonding agent. If it's anything like mine was the leak was too much for a rubber compound such as Captain Tolley's to do the trick.

Whatever you do don't use silicone sealant - as they cure they excrete H2O and acetic acid, both of which become trapped against metal and cause merry hell.

My current 245 lives in a garage so I don't know if it is leaking there, no visible signs. Yet...

Moomoo May 25th, 2022 08:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ (Post 2825895)
This applies to older non-240 older models too-

Newly acquired 1985 245, rained almost every day since bringing it home. The rear side windows are collecting moisture in the lower rear corners.
I suspect, to some degree, this is part of the design.

The problem is, water is penetrating the LH and there is a slight drip onto the panel covering the spare wheel. The seals probably need replacing.

Question:-

In the absence of new seals, does one:

a) Use a proprietary sealant and attempt to stop water getting in?

b) Let the water in but make sure it gets out?

c) Does anyone have a miracle cure not covered above?!

I thank you...

I would go with the proprietary sealant. Once it’s dry , of course.

Warm sealant is , obviously, more penetrative.

I made two Series Land Rovers leakproof using this method.

The hollow section below the windows is susceptible to rotting out, I’ve seen this on earlier 245s. When dry , I’d get something sprayed in there too. I think it’s better to keep the water out mate!🧐👍

Echo the Sikaflex , definitely, not silicone . 👍

Bob Meadows May 25th, 2022 10:01

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282386533...FYAAOSwFHBfyPr

This one is good:~
Non hardening butyl, warm the product for easier flow- area must be dry- clean up with white spirit.
Bob.

heckflosse May 25th, 2022 10:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moomoo (Post 2825898)
I would go with the proprietary sealant. Once it’s dry , of course.

Warm sealant is , obviously, more penetrative.

I made two Series Land Rovers leakproof using this method.

The hollow section below the windows is susceptible to rotting out, I’ve seen this on earlier 245s. When dry , I’d get something sprayed in there too. I think it’s better to keep the water out mate!🧐👍

Echo the Sikaflex , definitely, not silicone . 👍

Leakproof Landrovers? Can you walk on water too?

Moomoo May 25th, 2022 10:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by heckflosse (Post 2825925)
Leakproof Landrovers? Can you walk on water too?

It only took seven years and 80 kilos of black, sticky stuff.😎

Bob 1967 May 26th, 2022 16:44

Having worked for Sika for 13 years (sadly no longer) I can testify that the range of Sikaflex sealants are excellent, most are polyurethane and some UV resistant.
One is elastomer, this is a non hardening sealant is excellent for use with existing seals, I used it to great effect when replacing the rear window(tailgate) on my 200TE many years ago. this can be used between the glass and rubber seal and between the seal and metal.

DJ May 28th, 2022 16:13

Thanks

Thanks to all for the advice.
Sealant purchased and fine weather promised for next week....

Moomoo May 28th, 2022 17:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ (Post 2826444)
Thanks to all for the advice.
Sealant purchased and fine weather promised for next week....

It’ll be better when it’s done, water ingress is a real pain and a worry with,what can be , serious consequences.👍🤞