Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   V50 Diesel Estate 2011 Snapped Rear Strut Bolt Help Please! (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=338662)

ovlov007 Mar 9th, 2024 14:08

V50 Diesel Estate 2011 Snapped Rear Strut Bolt Help Please!

1 Attachment(s)
Greetings all, and what a great place for info on Volvos.:angel_smile:

I have searched here and the Internet Google facility and specifically the Youtube video site but coming up blank, so hopefully, somebody here mght be able to help?

So as my first repair to this, new to me, V50, the rear suspension top strut mount bolt snapped insitu whilst being put back on the vehicle, after sourcing all new parts, except the bolts!. I was still using a standard ratchet and socket when this happened and about to get my torque wrench then snap!:shocked: It is deep in the hole, there is nothing protruding!

So I realize the job ahead is a pain in the arse and can go wrong in so may ways but my question is....can I access this stuck nut from above/inside the rear of the car? It might be a bit more simple to accurately drill out the stuck stud? How does the rear panel come out and even then, will I be able to get to the captive nut or thread where the stud is broken? I'm ready, tools ready but more than intimidtaed at drilling uphill, closed space, blind.:shocked:

Hope I am in the right place to ask.

Any help or advice gratefully received. I'll be very happy to take pictures to post as I go, in the hope it may help some other unfortunate in a similar position as I find myself.

Kind regards,

Simmy Mar 9th, 2024 15:11

find a piece of rubber tube that will fit in the hole and drill through the centre of the tube this will stop the drill bit wandering and then try a stud extractor in the newly drilled hole if this fails drill out tap and fit a Heli coil.:regular_smile:

Diesel74 Mar 9th, 2024 15:43

If you can get to the topside of that, there maybe some broken bolt protruding. You maybe lucky and just wind it out from the other side.

andy_d Mar 9th, 2024 18:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simmy (Post 2939921)
find a piece of rubber tube that will fit in the hole and drill through the centre of the tube this will stop the drill bit wandering and then try a stud extractor in the newly drilled hole if this fails drill out tap and fit a Heli coil.:regular_smile:

Deep breath, cross fingers,, ^^^
use the Other bolt to get the right size rubber tube , drill bit to suit your Ez-out (stud extractor),
or ,, start taking the Boot trims apart,, Mind the bolts holding the luggage loops to the car, they Are threadlocked,, dont go snapping those,,,

ovlov007 Mar 10th, 2024 09:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simmy (Post 2939921)
find a piece of rubber tube that will fit in the hole and drill through the centre of the tube this will stop the drill bit wandering...

Oh my days! Why have I never ever heard this advice before. Thank you, thank you thankyou. My confidence just shot up at least %100.

Variable speed drill, a variety of drill bits and bolt extractors ready, now I just need a drier floor an some enthusiasm. Thank you again.

Kind regards

ovlov007 Mar 10th, 2024 09:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_d (Post 2939947)
,, start taking the Boot trims apart,, Mind the bolts holding the luggage loops to the car, they Are threadlocked,, dont go snapping those,,,

Sheesh! Thanks for this reply. Glad I learned that info about the threads being locked on the luggage straps. I would however, still consider this option, if I could find any online articles, preferably with pictures, showing how to get behind the boot side panel/trims? I just don't want to mess it up through my own ignorance, so I am trying to build best option to solve this. I don't even know if you can get to the top of the strut mount fitting behind the panel!:teeth_smile:

I know mechanics who say this is a five minute job, (in a well equiped ideal workshop) and happily berate/instruct me to stop faffing about and get on with it. Ask them to do it five minutes for a tenner and they all bolt!:teeth_smile:

If anybody knows how to remove the rear trims, please point ,me in that direction, and thanks everybody for the replys, much appreciated.

Kind regards.

Teddy1975 Mar 10th, 2024 12:07

1 Attachment(s)
It is fairly simple to remove the side trim pieces in the rear but takes longer than 5 minutes.

The procedure is outlined in the attached pdf.

Simmy Mar 10th, 2024 12:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by ovlov007 (Post 2940011)
Oh my days! Why have I never ever heard this advice before. Thank you, thank you thankyou. My confidence just shot up at least %100.

Variable speed drill, a variety of drill bits and bolt extractors ready, now I just need a drier floor an some enthusiasm. Thank you again.

Kind regards

just make sure to wear safety glasses when drilling upside down note when refitting remove any old thread lock . hold downs in the
load area will have thread lock the blue type which doesn't hold too tight. good luck i hope all goes well for you.:regular_smile: keep us updated with your progress..

andy_d Mar 10th, 2024 20:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simmy (Post 2940037)
just make sure to wear safety glasses when drilling upside down note when refitting remove any old thread lock . hold downs in the
load area will have thread lock the blue type which doesn't hold too tight. good luck i hope all goes well for you.:regular_smile: keep us updated with your progress..

oh you Lucky you, mine had Red threadlock,,,

Simmy Mar 10th, 2024 23:24

volvo tend to use the blue type it possible yours has been refitted with whatever was to hand when last removed