Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   The End Of Radio 2.... (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=330230)

Steve 940 Jan 17th, 2023 12:28

The End Of Radio 2....

Well that's the end of Radio 2 being a stored station in my Volvo, Ken Bruce leaving!!!!!!

How on earth can these supposed 'managers' allow the likes of Ken Bruce, SImon Mayo et al leave.... beggars belief.

Cheers
Steve

DaveNP Jan 17th, 2023 12:53

I got into Radio2 in the late 80s when I grew out of Radio1, I fear I'm growing out of Radio2 now as well.
If you've got DAB radio then you could try Greatest Hits Radio, half the presenters on there are ex Radio2.

Darthstinky Jan 17th, 2023 13:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve 940 (Post 2872635)
Well that's the end of Radio 2 being a stored station in my Volvo, Ken Bruce leaving!!!!!!

How on earth can these supposed 'managers' allow the likes of Ken Bruce, SImon Mayo et al leave.... beggars belief.

Cheers
Steve

Commercial radio stations have a lot more £££ behind them, so they can pay people more.

If they target presenters with a large following, they can charge advertiser more money for the advert during that presenters air time...

Auntie license model cant keep up with her commercial counterparts... I'd expect more presenter migrations TBH.

DS

Ulrikas PA Jan 17th, 2023 13:41

And the other view is to target a younger audience with a blander, lacking in personality, vanilla presenter.

Sotosound Jan 17th, 2023 14:03

Our Friday evenings used to be Simon Mayo's All-Request Friday on Greatest Hits Radio (because the BBC b*ggered up the programme on Radio 2), followed by Tony Blackburn's Golden Hour on Radio 2.

Then the BBC in their wisdom moved Golden Hour to Sunday, and b*ggered things up for the many people of all ages who had enjoyed Tony Blackburn's humorous and uptempo start to the weekend.

Stoopid or what?

It's probably less about money and more about a complete lack of common sense.

SnineT Jan 17th, 2023 14:14

I only listen to Liberty Radio....Rock aaaaand Roll. :icon_smile_lachuh:

EssexExile Jan 17th, 2023 14:14

The rot started when Jimmy Young left.:teeth_smile:

DaveNP Jan 17th, 2023 17:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by EssexExile (Post 2872654)
The rot started when Jimmy Young left.:teeth_smile:

I thought he was one of the best interviewers, radio or telly, especially politicians. He'd ask a straightforward question, give them time to answer, and if they had evaded the question he'd tell them and get them to answer it, but in all of that it never seemed like he wanted to be more important than the person he was interviewing.

SnineT Jan 17th, 2023 17:21

Whispering Bob and the late Tommy Vance for me.

Fastpatsilents Jan 17th, 2023 18:17

The medium has to adapt to attract a younger audience, remember when we all used to listen to Radio 1, have you tried listening to it lately? So R2 could continue broadcasting to a dying demographic with a ever declining audience, or refresh its output to pull the aging R1 audience.