Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Polestar offer / Remap T4 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=326925)

Dan1971 Aug 4th, 2022 23:58

Polestar offer / Remap T4

Apologies if this has been discussed before. Couldn't see it and search function doesn't work on my tablet for some reason.

Anyway.... I have a 2018 T4 S90. I've always looked at small mods to personalise my cars. I received a polestar upgrade offer email at a reduced price of £555. Interesting I thought so did some digging. 20bhp, 50 torques. Quicker changes but no impact on economy. Volvo approved / fitted , so doesn't affect warranty. Small badge on the back. All good then....

Then I did some more online research. Superchips for example who aren't a Mickey mouse outfit, offer a remap claiming to take my car from 190 bhp to a mouth watering 291 and 100 more torques for £325 including a warranty for the work. Mobile fitter at my door.

It appears, superchips is far better value. Has anyone done either?

Not interested in any should've bought a T5 or T6 replies - thanks.

XC90Mk1 Aug 5th, 2022 06:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan1971 (Post 2838043)
Apologies if this has been discussed before. Couldn't see it and search function doesn't work on my tablet for some reason.

Anyway.... I have a 2018 T4 S90. I've always looked at small mods to personalise my cars. I received a polestar upgrade offer email at a reduced price of £555. Interesting I thought so did some digging. 20bhp, 50 torques. Quicker changes but no impact on economy. Volvo approved / fitted , so doesn't affect warranty. Small badge on the back. All good then....

Then I did some more online research. Superchips for example who aren't a Mickey mouse outfit, offer a remap claiming to take my car from 190 bhp to a mouth watering 291 and 100 more torques for £325 including a warranty for the work. Mobile fitter at my door.

It appears, superchips is far better value. Has anyone done either?

Not interested in any should've bought a T5 or T6 replies - thanks.

The only comment I would have is to check with your insurance company etc. I have a 2012 and I would chip tomorrow but price comparison sites for me go from 2 dozen competitive quotes to 2 at outrageous costs.

I know you mention no ‘T5/T6’ type posts but if you pay £555 for the upgrade and an extra £150 a year for 5 years then a T5 is clearly better value.

Incidentally I have worked with a number of people who use these reputable chipping firms and almost all of them have issues post chipping, usually serious.

I would consider Polstar myself but for me other companies would be a no to be fair.

Each to their own however.

Zwerg Aug 5th, 2022 06:45

There’s no way they will get you increases like that just from a remap. Any possibility of misreading the numbers ?

Ian0803 Aug 5th, 2022 07:39

I don't have direct experience with your vehicle, but in the past living overseas I had a V70 with the 2.5 5 cylinder turbo engine.
I decided to add a tune, which was raved about by the local Volvo community. In my opinion the car felt rubbish, pretty gutless low down and maybe a bit faster at the very top end of the rev range. So driving it hard was not a daily option in a heavily congested city.
I had been talking to the Volvo dealer about the Polestar upgrade, but decided not to proceed at that time due to the cost, hence going with the alternative tune.
When the car was serviced, Volvo had installed the Polestar by mistake, thinking I wanted it as confirmed by the service invoice. Having told them I did not want it and already had a tune, they suggested that I take it for a week and return to have it removed if I don't like it.
To cut a long story short, wow, what a difference, super responsive from all revs, smooth and for sure better economy. I don't know the extra torque, but it added 50hp from 200 to 250hp.
It was worth the cost, transformed the car and I could drive it safe in the knowledge that I was not going to blow the engine.

Value for money on a £ per BHP, no, but for the overall driving experience, worth every £

Dan1971 Aug 5th, 2022 08:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zwerg (Post 2838061)
There’s no way they will get you increases like that just from a remap. Any possibility of misreading the numbers ?

No.

Checked it several times and other remap companies claim the same increases.

https://www.quantumtuning.co.uk

These are the same and when tuned claim it has more power than a tuned T5

Dan1971 Aug 5th, 2022 08:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian0803 (Post 2838067)
I don't have direct experience with your vehicle, but in the past living overseas I had a V70 with the 2.5 5 cylinder turbo engine.
I decided to add a tune, which was raved about by the local Volvo community. In my opinion the car felt rubbish, pretty gutless low down and maybe a bit faster at the very top end of the rev range. So driving it hard was not a daily option in a heavily congested city.
I had been talking to the Volvo dealer about the Polestar upgrade, but decided not to proceed at that time due to the cost, hence going with the alternative tune.
When the car was serviced, Volvo had installed the Polestar by mistake, thinking I wanted it as confirmed by the service invoice. Having told them I did not want it and already had a tune, they suggested that I take it for a week and return to have it removed if I don't like it.
To cut a long story short, wow, what a difference, super responsive from all revs, smooth and for sure better economy. I don't know the extra torque, but it added 50hp from 200 to 250hp.
It was worth the cost, transformed the car and I could drive it safe in the knowledge that I was not going to blow the engine.

Value for money on a £ per BHP, no, but for the overall driving experience, worth every £

Thanks...great post. They offer a 14 day trial with the polestar.

rhd443 Aug 5th, 2022 10:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 (Post 2838060)
The only comment I would have is to check with your insurance company etc. I have a 2012 and I would chip tomorrow but price comparison sites for me go from 2 dozen competitive quotes to 2 at outrageous costs.

I know you mention no ‘T5/T6’ type posts but if you pay £555 for the upgrade and an extra £150 a year for 5 years then a T5 is clearly better value.

Incidentally I have worked with a number of people who use these reputable chipping firms and almost all of them have issues post chipping, usually serious.

I would consider Polstar myself but for me other companies would be a no to be fair.

I was going to reply recommending a T8 as he didnt exclude that one from the list, but i agree with you, i have had aftermarket tunes on various cars over the years, it always ends up in misery, sensors fail, turbo, clutch, gearbox, overheating, jerkiness and worse, people dont reduce their cambelt change intervals down once remapped so they end up with total losses.

Polestar is the only one I feel safe with knowing its sold over the counter at main dealers.

DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX Aug 7th, 2022 19:27

Hi.
If you have any issues with insurance at all for a re-map then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

SnineT Aug 7th, 2022 20:08

This reminds me of a thread on another forum, the guy had had his car remapped by some tuneshop and not a week later the turbo gave it's notice and destroyed the engine so be careful, all sellers will assure you it's "gonna be just fine" the guy with the tune when he went back was informed it was his "driving style and the turbo was probably weak anyway" aka as not interested,

The remap might boost the Orse count but will it refine the drive like the Polestar one apparently does?

I personally think the Polestar should be sub £300 and actually think it should be factory anyway as it's a bit naughty to sell a car and then say oh we can make it better, card or cash sir?

Dan1971 Aug 7th, 2022 23:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 (Post 2838060)

I know you mention no ‘T5/T6’ type posts but if you pay £555 for the upgrade and an extra £150 a year for 5 years then a T5 is clearly better value. ...

Only T5 S90 on autotrader is £1000 more expensive than I paid for mine, and done 30k more miles. It's at an Arthur Daley not main dealer. Factor in the extra £320 a year road tax and I'll take my T4.