Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   My 740 has got the wrong engine (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=325410)

Offgrid May 13th, 2022 10:56

My 740 has got the wrong engine

I've just found out that the 740 I bought has got a replacement engine. Looking at the timing cover, it days it is a B230E. It seems that the previous owner blew up the original engine, and this was fitted as a replacement. He states that it is a 2.8 litre, but google says it is a 2.3 litre.. Although it is apparently an older engine, it seems to go well, and apart from some minor problems, I'm pleased with it. I still want to turn the vehicle into an offgrid weekend camper.

Now I have a problem with getting parts for it. The new engine hasn't been registered with the DVLA, and I guess I will have to do that. I also suspect that it may affect my insurance when I notify them. It looks as if the engine was installed in various models for a few years, and thus there may be a few variants, is this true?

john.wigley May 13th, 2022 11:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Offgrid (Post 2824020)
I've just found out that the 740 I bought has got a replacement engine. Looking at the timing cover, it days it is a B230E. It seems that the previous owner blew up the original engine, and this was fitted as a replacement. He states that it is a 2.8 litre, but google says it is a 2.3 litre.. Although it is apparently an older engine, it seems to go well, and apart from some minor problems, I'm pleased with it. I still want to turn the vehicle into an offgrid weekend camper.

Now I have a problem with getting parts for it. The new engine hasn't been registered with the DVLA, and I guess I will have to do that. I also suspect that it may affect my insurance when I notify them. It looks as if the engine was installed in various models for a few years, and thus there may be a few variants, is this true?

There seems to be some confusion here, 'Offgrid'. The 2.8 and the 2.3 are quite different engines and one is not a straight replacement for the other.

The 2.8 is a V6, fitted to the 760, and the 2.3 an inline 4. The B230 is definitely a 2.3 (2316cc), the 'E' indicating that it is a N/A fuel injected unit (ET would be a turbo and K a carburettor fed engine).

Hope this is helpful.

Regards, John.

griston64 May 13th, 2022 11:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Offgrid (Post 2824020)

Do you know what the original engine was ?

Offgrid May 13th, 2022 11:55

The seller thought it was a 2.8, but the engine looks as if John is correct. It's an inline 4.
According to the VIN the original engine was a B200E.

griston64 May 13th, 2022 12:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Offgrid (Post 2824031)
The seller thought it was a 2.8, but the engine looks as if John is correct. It's an inline 4.
According to the VIN the original engine was a B200E.

You basically have the same engine as the original but 2.3 instead of 2.0.

The only parts that differ are the block and pistons.

I'm not sure I'd want to get involved with DVLA to register the engine though :shocked:

Forrest May 13th, 2022 12:45

I reckon that logging the replacement engine with DVLA should be quite straightforward. Details here.

https://www.gov.uk/change-vehicle-de...idence-to-give

Looks like you'll need written confirmation from a garage. Probably best use one that is also registered as an MOT test station.

Your best course of action is almost certainly to register the change correctly with your insurance company and DVLA rather than to ignore the change.

If the press is to be believed DVLA is a bit chaotic at the moment because their staff continue to "work from home". Best take a copy of your current log book before surrendering it into the abyss.

360beast May 13th, 2022 13:15

As stated the 2.8 is a V6 so it definitely won't be a 2.8 if it has a redblock cover on it.

It will definitely push your insurance up having a non standard engine in it.

I had to write a letter to the DVLA on behalf of the owner of a 940 I converted from a 2.0 N/A to a 2.3 turbo stating the engine change from 1986cc to 2316cc and the reason why. I just said that the original engine was broken and so as part of the restoration a 2.3 turbo was sourced and fitted. New log book was sent out after a couple of months and they didn't inspect it or even reply to my letter, it was a very straight forward process.

Offgrid May 13th, 2022 17:29

Many thanks for all the helpful advice and comments.

Just when you think you are on a path to the future, something else turns up. I've been offered a "D" reg 740 estate for £300. I'm minded to take it, as it's getting close to the free tax and no MOT status. It's on a SORN, and scrap value is over £250, so I'm prepared to buy it sight unseen.

I'll keep you guys posted if I get the estate.

Moomoo May 13th, 2022 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Offgrid (Post 2824125)

Just when you think you are on a path to the future, something else turns up. I've been offered a "D" reg 740 estate for £300. I'm minded to take it, as it's getting close to the free tax and no MOT status. It's on a SORN, and scrap value is over £250, so I'm prepared to buy it sight unseen.

Could be good youth! Just don’t buy a money pit😀👍

john.wigley May 13th, 2022 18:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Offgrid (Post 2824125)

It would be a useful source of spares at the very least. We had an '87 (D) 745 GLE (2.3 auto) from 1998 to 2016, which we only sold because it failed it's MOT for advanced underside corrosion. Was quoted £4-500 to repair - would have been a different story if I could weld and had the necessary facilities. My wife had a similar spec 744 from '98 to '14 that went to over 250K, but was becoming the 'money pit' alluded to by 'Moomoo' and so was sold on.

I'm biased, but I would always go for a 2.3 over a 2.0, especially if you expect to do much towing. It has oodles of low-down torque, where the 2.0 can struggle when heavily laden and is not appreciably any more economical. Over the years, both our cars returned an average 27 - 28 MPG and over 30 on a long run.

Regards, John.