Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   PV, 120, 1800 Wants (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=146)
-   -   gearbox needed (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=325282)

Djstaffy May 7th, 2022 07:54

gearbox needed

after a 4spd gearbox with O/D in good working order
for my 69 amazon ...as mine has just lost O/D & is making strange noises
in the other gears
thanks
Danny

Volvo_133 May 7th, 2022 09:20

Hi Danny,
You are looking for hens teeth, have you checked the oil level? as this will prevent the overdrive from working and cause other noises within the gearbox as the units share the oil.
Engage 4th gear ( ignition on) with the drivers door open listen for the solenoid clicking as it engages.
Do these checks first and come back. If it is short of oil it requires basic 20w/50.
If you find a used item for sale today it will more than likely have been stored as a spare,of unknown condition,possibly in the same condition as yours.
Good luck!

Djstaffy May 7th, 2022 10:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volvo_133 (Post 2823021)
Hi Danny,
You are looking for hens teeth, have you checked the oil level? as this will prevent the overdrive from working and cause other noises within the gearbox as the units share the oil.
Engage 4th gear ( ignition on) with the drivers door open listen for the solenoid clicking as it engages.
Do these checks first and come back. If it is short of oil it requires basic 20w/50.
If you find a used item for sale today it will more than likely have been stored as a spare,of unknown condition,possibly in the same condition as yours.
Good luck!

thanks for the info i'll check it over the weekend

old fart May 7th, 2022 11:30

Hi, I've got an M41 with a rebuilt D type overdrive for sale, if you still need one.Overdrive never been fitted, gearbox feels and sounds ok.

Djstaffy May 8th, 2022 09:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by old fart (Post 2823041)
Hi, I've got an M41 with a rebuilt D type overdrive for sale, if you still need one.Overdrive never been fitted, gearbox feels and sounds ok.

thanks for reply, i'm gonna get car on mate's ramp next couple of days & come back to you

old fart May 8th, 2022 14:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Djstaffy (Post 2823192)
thanks for reply, i'm gonna get car on mate's ramp next couple of days & come back to you

OK. Good luck.

Clan May 8th, 2022 17:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Djstaffy (Post 2823010)
after a 4spd gearbox with O/D in good working order
for my 69 amazon ...as mine has just lost O/D & is making strange noises
in the other gears
thanks
Danny

just about any fault is an easy repair , if the OD doesn't engage or slips try some new rubber piston O rings , I did many of those back then after high mileage .

noises from the gearbox are most likely bearings , simple to replace and easily available from places like SIMPLY BEARINGS ..

Use the correct oil too .

Moomoo May 8th, 2022 18:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2823267)
just about any fault is an easy repair , if the OD doesn't engage or slips try some new rubber piston O rings , I did many of those back then after high mileage .

noises from the gearbox are most likely bearings , simple to replace and easily available from places like SIMPLY BEARINGS ..

Use the correct oil too .

I’d rather spend on my own rebuilt box than take a punt on a used one, considering the age.

The Devil you know, and all that!🤔

Djstaffy May 12th, 2022 08:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by old fart (Post 2823041)

How much you after for box with OD
thanks
Danny

old fart May 12th, 2022 17:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Djstaffy (Post 2823838)
How much you after for box with OD
thanks
Danny

£700. The rebuild of the overdrive cost me £400 plus carriage.
Cheers, Andy.