Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   200 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   240 General: B200E Drive Belts / Fuel Filter (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=325148)

crcowley Apr 29th, 2022 14:44

B200E Drive Belts / Fuel Filter

Hi,

Novice mechanic here and so apologies in advance for the lack of knowledge.....I am on a massive learning curve!!!!

I have a 1988 Volvo 240 GL with a B200E engine, which has not run for a number of years. I need to source many service parts before I turn it over (not to mention the cambelt!) and have entered my car details onto various site to buy what I need; however, parts that currently need replacing on my car like the cradle bracket to hold the fuel filter are coming up as not compatible when it clearly is the part I need. Also, the recommended drive belts between the alternator/steering and water pumps/crankshaft are different to the ones I currently have on the car (which are 2 of 910x10 and 1 of 935x10).

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I note that the B200E engine is listed for cars from 1985-1986 whereas mine is a 1988 machine, so would these sort of issues just be data glitches on after market websites???

Any guidance or knowledge would be most appreciated!!!

Many thanks.

Charles.

360beast Apr 29th, 2022 16:32

You will find that many online parts places will have misinformation about your car.

FRF Volvo in Swansea are a main dealer and are usually cheaper for the real deal than aftermarket junk, definitely use them for the cambelt, fuel filter and auxiliary belts.

The aux belts are 11.9mm wide and are available from Volvo still.

Bob Meadows Apr 29th, 2022 17:26

If your filter bracket is on the bulkhead (mine is-1988 E engine) they can be made up quite easily, stainless steel is good here:~

The last two auxiliary belts I purchased (Gates) came from my local factors- they had the details on file once the car reg. had been given.
Good luck.
Bob.

crcowley Apr 30th, 2022 08:26

Many thanks for taking the time to respond to me, Bob.

Yes, like yours, the filter bracket is located on the bulkhead which I am currently spending time sorting out - I think it may have been you who recommended an excellent product from Hardura to replace the rubber backed foam, I can't remember? Anyway, that is what I will be going for. Skandix do sell a cheap bracket so I will probably buy that.....I seem to have so many other parts I need to make!!!

Thanks also for the information on the auxiliary belts - noted.

All the best.

Charles.

crcowley Apr 30th, 2022 08:30

Hi,

Many thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions.

Good to receive confirmation that part places do hold misinformation on cars; also, interesting re: the auxiliary belts....11.9mm then, I wonder why mine had been fitted with 10mm? All noted.

Thanks again.

Charles.

Bob Meadows Apr 30th, 2022 10:15

Yes Charles:~
Hardura for the bulkhead- waxoyl the areas as they are hidden and get quite damp.
Good luck.
Bob.

crcowley May 1st, 2022 12:14

Cheers Bob!

Yes, I thought it was you....and I remember you mentioning the waxoyl too! Great tip - many thanks again.

Charles.

Moomoo Jul 29th, 2022 17:08

Apologies for the hi-jack but on re- reading this thread and looking under my bonnet, I noticed no canister fuel filter on the bulkhead. Is that normal?

‘91 , 245 GL, 2.0 l auto.

BicycleBoy Jul 29th, 2022 20:13

K-jet cars have the (huge) filter canister on the bulkhead.
Others appear not to - probably a small inline filter somewhere?

Moomoo Jul 29th, 2022 20:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by BicycleBoy (Post 2836922)
K-jet cars have the (huge) filter canister on the bulkhead.
Others appear not to - probably a small inline filter somewhere?

That’s what I’ve noticed, since looking. I hope there’s one somewhere. Someone may be along with the answer!🤔