Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Does your car get dirty quickly? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=311601)

Welton Nov 9th, 2020 14:13

Does your car get dirty quickly?

Washed and detailed my car yesterday, drove 8 miles this morning at about 50mph (dual carriageways and B roads) and the car and wheels are all covered in road grime/mud again.

Sure it's 'that time of year' but it got me thinking I'm sure my S40 gets dirty faster than other cars I've driven; maybe it's the body shape? or the fairly wide track of the wheels?

Markos01 Nov 9th, 2020 19:03

Wider track can kick more dirt up... and some cars of mine have gotten really dirty at the back more so than others (aero), not that much you can do aboutit but I have been using this recently... It's really cheap and I can see the 'beading' even after a trip to Cornwall AND Birmingham in bad weather, so def worth a go.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/carpl...MaAp00EALw_wcB

XCR Nov 9th, 2020 20:48

You need a proper sealant topped with a quality wax.
My favourite combo currently is Dodo Juice Future Armour with good old Collinite.
Seems to be holding up well in this damp/dirty spell of weather....

Markos01 Nov 10th, 2020 08:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by XCR (Post 2680135)
You need a proper sealant topped with a quality wax.
My favourite combo currently is Dodo Juice Future Armour with good old Collinite.
Seems to be holding up well in this damp/dirty spell of weather....

Collinite is what I use too. Just bought a new version of it in a black tin... looks very fancy but not used it yet.

Whyman Nov 10th, 2020 08:44

Nothing wrong with fitting a set of mud flaps.

They do a great job.

domhart10 Nov 10th, 2020 09:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whyman (Post 2680215)
Nothing wrong with fitting a set of mud flaps.

They do a great job.

Yeh defenitly something I am considering.

But if you give your car a good detail, wax etc once it does get muddy, you should just be able to hose it all off nice and easily. Im waiting till mine is out the garage and will have a go at one of those ceramic things as I can see the repel quite a bit.

Welton Nov 10th, 2020 09:36

Twice a year my car gets a clay bar and 3-stage hand polish and final sealant with Gtechniq Crystal C1, it's due again now so will try to get this done before the road salting begins.

Biggest issue this time of year round here is mud coming off the fields with tractors etc.

domhart10 Nov 10th, 2020 11:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welton (Post 2680226)
Twice a year my car gets a clay bar and 3-stage hand polish and final sealant with Gtechniq Crystal C1, it's due again now so will try to get this done before the road salting begins.

Biggest issue this time of year round here is mud coming off the fields with tractors etc.

Yeh there isnt much you can do about that really. I get the same issue but but im not so fussed about my car staying dirty for a while. Black seems to be a hurrendous colour for getting dirty as it seems to get dirty right after cleaning it.

But mud guards might reduce the dirt being flicker up.

Baxlin Nov 10th, 2020 13:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markos01 (Post 2680115)
Wider track can kick more dirt up... and some cars of mine have gotten really dirty at the back more so than others (aero), not that much you can do aboutit but I have been using this recently... It's really cheap and I can see the 'beading' even after a trip to Cornwall AND Birmingham in bad weather, so def worth a go.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/carpl...MaAp00EALw_wcB

Seems OK, but applying the “2 out of 3” rule, ie of ‘Good, Fast and Cheap’ which says while you can have any two out of three, you can’t have all three, how does it stack up?

FWIW, mine is clayed once a year, then has Poorboys Black hole, with G3 Super Paste Wax on top at least twice a year, and Megs’ Last Touch as a drying agent every wash.

The OP mentioning the shape of the car, I’ve never had one that catches as much crud under the sills as my Mk2 C70 facelift.

Markos01 Nov 10th, 2020 17:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baxlin (Post 2680275)
Seems OK, but applying the “2 out of 3” rule, ie of ‘Good, Fast and Cheap’ which says while you can have any two out of three, you can’t have all three, how does it stack up?

FWIW, mine is clayed once a year, then has Poorboys Black hole, with G3 Super Paste Wax on top at least twice a year, and Megs’ Last Touch as a drying agent every wash.

The OP mentioning the shape of the car, I’ve never had one that catches as much crud under the sills as my Mk2 C70 facelift.

Poorboys Black Hole is great for black. Or any dark colour. I use it on the metallic mid/dark grey Beemer, then Collinite on top to seal it in. Generally lasts about 3 months. The next wash after that two-stage process I will use the Carplan spray: I don't do it after waxing to allow the wax to cure.

As for the 2 out of 3 rule, Carplan probably doesn't last as long as more expensive detailing sprays I would imagine. I think it needs reapplying after either every wash or every other wash max. But without washing I was surprised how long the rain beaded on the car even though it had done 500 miles and was pretty dirty. So I'd say it's a good starter spray and very good value.