Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Feels like a fuel blockage. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=306779)

Seldawg Jun 8th, 2020 23:08

Feels like a fuel blockage.

Hi all bought a XC 90 in November last year it’s on a 55 plate it’s the D5 Diesel it’s got 163,000 on the clock. it was a farmers motor he’d owned it from new and by the look of all the receipts it’s been no expense spared.

I Had noticed before there was a lack of power Sometimes when setting off this was at Low revs only. Like limp mode before all of a sudden kicking in And driving as normal With the burst of power. This only seemed to happen every so often and could go along time without happening at all. But over the last few weeks it’s more or less all the time you drive it. Struggle struggle struggle then boom where off.

The car has just been recently serviced I was wondering in a normal service which cost me around £150 would the fuel filter changed?

After doing a few hours research and listening to some of the stories with similar problems, it seems to be the best idea to 1st check the fuel filter and failing that possibly the fuel pressure sensor.

I’m yet to have any codes Read, but both of these parts are relatively cheap do you reckon they’re worth a punt with these types of problem?

Thanks for taking the time to read.

S60D5-185 Jun 9th, 2020 06:09

Definitely change the fuel filter before doing another thing.

Don't assume or accept that it has been changed even if you have bills to show it has been.

It's a simple process, do it yourself.

It it on the floorpan just forward of the offside rear wheel. Yours will almost certainly be a plastic housing with renewable paper filter.

The housing will feel tight when trying to undo it but should unscrew. Don't be rough though as they can be broken.

If you change it and it doesn't fix the issue you have lost nothing as you now have a new filter. 👍

Seldawg Jun 9th, 2020 11:25

I’ll go down that route first thanks for the fast reply 👍🏻

Clan Jun 9th, 2020 11:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seldawg (Post 2636767)
Hi all bought a XC 90 in November last year it’s on a 55 plate it’s the D5 Diesel it’s got 163,000 on the clock. it was a farmers motor he’d owned it from new and by the look of all the receipts it’s been no expense spared.

I Had noticed before there was a lack of power Sometimes when setting off this was at Low revs only. Like limp mode before all of a sudden kicking in And driving as normal With the burst of power. This only seemed to happen every so often and could go along time without happening at all. But over the last few weeks it’s more or less all the time you drive it. Struggle struggle struggle then boom where off.

The car has just been recently serviced I was wondering in a normal service which cost me around £150 would the fuel filter changed?

After doing a few hours research and listening to some of the stories with similar problems, it seems to be the best idea to 1st check the fuel filter and failing that possibly the fuel pressure sensor.

I’m yet to have any codes Read, but both of these parts are relatively cheap do you reckon they’re worth a punt with these types of problem?

Thanks for taking the time to read.

The last time i had this problem it was lack of vacuum from the pump to the turbo vane actuator solenoid . The vacuum was leaking away through the engine mounting pad system . you could try clamping off the vacuum supply to that vacuum control solenoid , and if it still does it , them get a vacuum gauge on the line out of the pump .... it should be at least 26 in/hg