Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   V70: Electrical 2009 V70 2.0d starting issues (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=322880)

Joshjh Jan 18th, 2022 10:20

2009 V70 2.0d starting issues

Hi all,

I have a 2009 V70 2.0d with an intermittent starting issue. On occasion the starter motor will refuse to fire as part of the starting sequence. It only does this sometimes and there seems to be little logic to when it does it, which makes diagnosis harder.

I can normally clear at by reseating the ECU plugs, but not this morning. Today I needed to look at the starter relay. It appears that the ground is missing on the starter relay as part of the starting sequence. Any ideas? I've had the ECU tested already. Obvious it could be a broken wire but it seems like that would not give the same symptoms as it, once started, will start again. Until it doesn't. Any help appreciated. Engine is the 136ps 2,0d.

Clan Jan 18th, 2022 13:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshjh (Post 2800711)
Hi all,

I have a 2009 V70 2.0d with an intermittent starting issue. On occasion the starter motor will refuse to fire as part of the starting sequence. It only does this sometimes and there seems to be little logic to when it does it, which makes diagnosis harder.

I can normally clear at by reseating the ECU plugs, but not this morning. Today I needed to look at the starter relay. It appears that the ground is missing on the starter relay as part of the starting sequence. Any ideas? I've had the ECU tested already. Obvious it could be a broken wire but it seems like that would not give the same symptoms as it, once started, will start again. Until it doesn't. Any help appreciated. Engine is the 136ps 2,0d.

These Ford starters can give problems over 80000 miles ...

Joshjh Jan 19th, 2022 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2800768)
These Ford starters can give problems over 80000 miles ...

Thanks for the reply.

So I've heard re the starters however it seems like the issue further up the starting system as it's previously been cleared by removing the ECU multiplugs and reseating them, or the relays.

I replaced the starter relay with a new one today, no luck. I don't really want to pay for a new starter until I've crossed off the other smaller items. Any ideas on what the cause could be if it's not the starter?

Clan Jan 19th, 2022 16:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshjh (Post 2801041)
Thanks for the reply.

So I've heard re the starters however it seems like the issue further up the starting system as it's previously been cleared by removing the ECU multiplugs and reseating them, or the relays.

I replaced the starter relay with a new one today, no luck. I don't really want to pay for a new starter until I've crossed off the other smaller items. Any ideas on what the cause could be if it's not the starter?

give the starter a tap with a hammer when it doesnt work , if that does it expect brush trouble in the starter .

Joshjh Jan 19th, 2022 16:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2801042)
give the starter a tap with a hammer when it doesnt work , if that does it expect brush trouble in the starter .

Thanks Clan I will try that next time it does it and report back.