Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC40 '18> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   Auto Windscreen Defrost (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=312773)

JohnDavo Dec 24th, 2020 10:28

Auto Windscreen Defrost

I have had my new XC40 for a couple of weeks now but still getting the hang of the settings.

I have set the rear and front windscreens to autodefrost in the Climate settings so these should activate on start up.

However, I notice that only the rear heated screen seems to automatically activate not the front ( there is one fitted!)

Now its not been that cold recently ( 3 degrees this morning) so I am wondering if the front only activates when its frosty but I would expect the conditions for front and rear to activate to be the same.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

John

MikeGMT Dec 25th, 2020 16:34

My (V90) is the same, rear activates but not the front. Looking at the manual it only states 'when there is a risk of frost or misting' but no clue as to what temperature triggers the screen. I had a notion that it may come on when the snowflake symbol appears in the temp; display (2°C > -5°C), but today when I went out in the car it was 2°C, snowflake was there but the auto front screen didn't come on, so that blew that idea away. I wouldn't worry about it, I've only seen mine come on a few times in 18 months of ownership, it will come on when the right conditions are met.

JohnDavo Dec 30th, 2020 18:05

Thanks Mike

voukos Jan 24th, 2021 10:25

I own ( since Feb 2020) a 68plate V60 and it is frustrating that when both front and rear are iced up, only the rear one is defrosted. I am sure it worked at some point last year. Looked in the climate settings and strangely, i could not find the "auto defrost windscreen" option to tick. Will be calling the dealer in the week.

DanH Mar 22nd, 2021 11:32

How did you guys get on with this?? Keen to get a car with winter pack as next purchase but this seems like a chunk of its usefulness would be compromised

JohnDavo Mar 24th, 2021 21:51

It does work fine.
Just needs to be pretty cold for the front one to come on automatically. Usually when it's cold enough for the ice warning to appear if memory serves.
I was just getting used to it😁

Bashy Mar 25th, 2021 02:08

The front wont come on, will it? not until the engine temp hits X, i cant see it working any other way, it wont blast out freezing cold air on auto if the temp is set higher than the external temp

MikeGMT Mar 25th, 2021 03:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bashy (Post 2721963)
The front wont come on, will it? not until the engine temp hits X, i cant see it working any other way, it wont blast out freezing cold air on auto if the temp is set higher than the external temp

Electric heated windscreen.

Bashy Mar 25th, 2021 04:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeGMT (Post 2721965)
Electric heated windscreen.

oops, my bad, i forgot that Volvo have this too, tis weird, whenever i hear heated front screen, i just think of Ford

DanH Mar 25th, 2021 09:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bashy (Post 2721967)
oops, my bad, i forgot that Volvo have this too, tis weird, whenever i hear heated front screen, i just think of Ford

Ford own the patent on it, not sure if it's expired. All Fords tend to have it with the possible exception of the base 'Style' trims

My wife now can't be without it after owning a Focus for a few years. Which means seeking out a used XC40 with the sodding winter pack...

Good to hear it does work though, thanks for the reply!