Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Engine Temp High reduce speed (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=318492)

taxi driver Jul 19th, 2021 12:52

Engine Temp High reduce speed

My V70 D5 has done 210k and for some time the engine fan has been sounding like a jet engine after stopping the car. This runs for approx 3 mins. Last week I had the 'Engine temp high reduce speed' and the amber warning triangle illuminate. Only momentarily, reduced speed, switched off a/c, no further problems. Since, this has happened twice more. I read if the sensor gives a bad reading the fans automatically go to full speed.

cheshired5 Jul 19th, 2021 12:58

You need to get some live data from the coolant temperature sensor to see exactly what is happening.

Dean Bryant Jul 20th, 2021 11:40

I had very similar problem few years ago including the "stop engine" follow up message where if i switched off the air con or started moving after being stuck in traffic the message disappeared. Turned out it was the air con condensor and the radiator both not getting enough air flow as they were stone peppered and covered in debris after 420k miles.

taxi driver Jul 22nd, 2021 22:38

Yep got live data now, It getting hot 112 deg. When standing stationary it drops to around 96 deg, radiator fan seems fine. If I drive slow 30mph temp drops to 100 deg so guessing its the thermostat. Only problem is volvo quoting £150 for thermostat. I'm also guessing its the one where fitment is back of engine. Non Volvo suppliers seem not to supply this particular one.

taxi driver Jul 22nd, 2021 22:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Bryant (Post 2755032)
I had very similar problem few years ago including the "stop engine" follow up message where if i switched off the air con or started moving after being stuck in traffic the message disappeared. Turned out it was the air con condensor and the radiator both not getting enough air flow as they were stone peppered and covered in debris after 420k miles.

Wow thats some going... Ive managed 320k on last volvo v70 before the Gearbox gave up. Usual problems on mine, steering racks and so many wishbones. Think mine is when Ford got its hand on Volvo, 2009/2010 seems to be so many differences between cars.

reggit Jul 23rd, 2021 07:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by taxi driver (Post 2755878)
Yep got live data now, It getting hot 112 deg. When standing stationary it drops to around 96 deg, radiator fan seems fine. If I drive slow 30mph temp drops to 100 deg so guessing its the thermostat. Only problem is volvo quoting £150 for thermostat. I'm also guessing its the one where fitment is back of engine. Non Volvo suppliers seem not to supply this particular one.

That’s around what I paid for mine in an early euro 5 car (2010 model year). It’s DIYable, but is a pig to change. Took me about 9 hours, although that was in February in the snow. Could probs get that down to 6 hours doing it again.
I put some pictures on my progress thread which will be somewhere on this forum… it’ll give you an idea.

Kev0607 Jul 24th, 2021 12:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by taxi driver (Post 2755878)

Location of the thermostat depends on year. If yours is a euro 5 engine, the thermostat is placed at the back of the engine & that could cost hundreds in labour alone without the part!

taxi driver Jul 30th, 2021 18:05

Feeling desperate, managed to get Thermostat, housing and temp sender from Volvo (£240). Unfortunately my engine has the thermostat at the back of the engine, it took my garage 7 hours to fit. Still not a lot better! The engine temp when driven at a steady 50-60mph rises to 109deg without the aircon on. Strange thing is when stationary at idle the temp starts dropping. So the question is do we go for a new water pump or radiator next? any thoughts or ideas would be gratefully appreciated.

XC70Virgin Jul 31st, 2021 06:22

Take the radiator out and see if the system is blocked or restricted to water flow in some way rather than just throwing parts at it.

Olaf Els Jul 31st, 2021 07:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by taxi driver (Post 2758213)
Feeling desperate, managed to get Thermostat, housing and temp sender from Volvo (£240). Unfortunately my engine has the thermostat at the back of the engine, it took my garage 7 hours to fit. Still not a lot better! The engine temp when driven at a steady 50-60mph rises to 109deg without the aircon on. Strange thing is when stationary at idle the temp starts dropping. So the question is do we go for a new water pump or radiator next? any thoughts or ideas would be gratefully appreciated.

I suggest using an infrared thermometer to help understand what's going on in the cooling system. Lots of info online about how to do this.

If you don't have access to one, they aren't expensive. Much cheaper than wasted garage hours.

You'll also be able to rule out a defective temperature sensor.