Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   New Petrol Figures (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=320936)

jasmith44 Oct 26th, 2021 16:33

New Petrol Figures

I have just done a check on my mileage since the "new petrol" came into use and it works out at 7 fills = 332.95 Ltrs 2233 miles average miles per gallon 30.6.Previos 7 fills =343.54 ltrs 2583 miles average 34.3.This is all calculated at brim to brim fills.

Zebster Oct 26th, 2021 19:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasmith44 (Post 2780223)
I have just done a check on my mileage since the "new petrol" came into use and it works out at 7 fills = 332.95 Ltrs 2233 miles average miles per gallon 30.6.Previos 7 fills =343.54 ltrs 2583 miles average 34.3.This is all calculated at brim to brim fills.

So your mpg has dropped by 10%? That's bad!

Toprivetguns Oct 30th, 2021 19:17

Am I right in saying more bio-fuel means less octane, hence more throttle to achieve the same performance, then more cost in the long as your using more fuel.... You get where Im going.

Zebster Oct 30th, 2021 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toprivetguns (Post 2781277)
Am I right in saying more bio-fuel means less octane, hence more throttle to achieve the same performance, then more cost in the long as your using more fuel.... You get where Im going.

It's more about the lower E10 energy content than the octane rating (which is corrected with additives).

The other thing about E10 is that the stoichiometric ratio is around 14.1:1 rather than 14.7:1 for unleaded. I'm not sure how the ECU map handles that.

Adrian B Oct 30th, 2021 22:13

Well my opinion is. The green lobby ain't thought it through so now more fuel needs to be burnt to achieve the same destination. No more efficiently or planet saving science! 🙄 Only 200 more years left before oil runs out so let's keep thinking. Only 65% of the price of hydrocarbon vehicle fuel in the UK is tax. Shall we put the same tax on electric charging? If not how will the country find the revenue pay for lots of things. BTW after driving a vehicle for 40 years. I carn't honestly turn into a save the planet person unless it's financially attractive. Just like 95% of the current UK population. For the record my Volvo XC60 D5 2.4 diesel recorded 0% emissions on the MOT but I pay £170 per annum road tax. Who is gonna pay that on an electric vehicle THIS year?

GrahamHR Oct 30th, 2021 23:01

All this "bioethanol greening" of petrol and diesel is absolute nonsense. An inherited "blessing" from our once membership of the EU. Causes a lot of damage, with little or no advantages. Better to use that ethanol to run generators to charge electric cars and the grid, along with the diesel generators doing the same.

Zebster Oct 31st, 2021 07:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrian B (Post 2781344)
... For the record my Volvo XC60 D5 2.4 diesel recorded 0% emissions on the MOT but I pay £170 per annum road tax. Who is gonna pay that on an electric vehicle THIS year?

Despite being the focus of global concern, carbon emissions are not measured on the MoT. And your car emits plenty of carbon, hence your VED of £170.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrahamHR (Post 2781360)
All this "bioethanol greening" of petrol and diesel is absolute nonsense. An inherited "blessing" from our once membership of the EU. Causes a lot of damage, with little or no advantages. Better to use that ethanol to run generators to charge electric cars and the grid, along with the diesel generators doing the same.

All developed countries are using biofuel contributions to petrol and diesel. It's nothing to do with our previous EU membership LOL, we'd be doing it anyway! The US is the largest consumer of fuel ethanol, followed by Brazil, China, Canada, and India.