Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   200 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Engine: 2.3 F/Inj B23E/B230F: What is this thing? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=319690)

Nikolaj83 Sep 2nd, 2021 12:59

What is this thing?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi to everyone!
This is my first post ever since i last year bought my 1988 240. Usually i find all informations somehow, but this i couldnt. I need info about this part - what is it and what is used for... it is located under the left headlight and I know that it is connected with intake manifold using two hoses and seems to have another hose nipple on the bottom i dont know what for... Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks!

SwedishScotsman Sep 2nd, 2021 22:12

Charcoal canister / filter

Ok, please don’t quote me on this but my GUESS is that it’s a Charcoal Filter that does something with excess fuel vapour before it’s released into atmosphere or routed back to engine via inlet manifold. .

I could be completely wrong (I’m new here too so expecting to be told as much!) but that’s what it looks like to me.

Might be worth reading up on Volvo charcoal filter to see if they gives you any more clue.

Good luck

Oh and if you need one I’m breaking a full 2.3 240 GLT lol 😂 so check my other post for pics

loki_the_glt Sep 3rd, 2021 08:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwedishScotsman (Post 2767573)
Ok, please don’t quote me on this but my GUESS is that it’s a Charcoal Filter that does something with excess fuel vapour before it’s released into atmosphere or routed back to engine via inlet manifold. .

I could be completely wrong (I’m new here too so expecting to be told as much!) but that’s what it looks like to me.

Might be worth reading up on Volvo charcoal filter to see if they gives you any more clue.

Good luck

Oh and if you need one I’m breaking a full 2.3 240 GLT lol 😂 so check my other post for pics

Good guess, SwedishScotsman.

Looking at the photo and at the OP's location it probably is something to do with emissions; if the OP's car has a B230K engine it's part of the EGR set-up.

Laird Scooby Sep 3rd, 2021 12:25

I'd also second the opinion it's part of the charcoal filter system. Would be unusual to find it on a 240 GLT as they were always K-Jet as far as i've ever known and lack the ECU to control the valves to admit the excess fuel vapour held in the charcoal filters for burning off during cruising.

I would guess the OPs engine is a B230F (LH2.4 injection) to control it or as Loki suggested, a B230K with EGR.

Nikolaj83 Sep 4th, 2021 11:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laird Scooby (Post 2767682)
I'd also second the opinion it's part of the charcoal filter system. Would be unusual to find it on a 240 GLT as they were always K-Jet as far as i've ever known and lack the ECU to control the valves to admit the excess fuel vapour held in the charcoal filters for burning off during cruising.

I would guess the OPs engine is a B230F (LH2.4 injection) to control it or as Loki suggested, a B230K with EGR.

It is 240gl lh 2.2 i think.... Thank you very much for the answers, now i can research more on this part

Laird Scooby Sep 4th, 2021 11:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikolaj83 (Post 2767884)
It is 240gl lh 2.2 i think.... Thank you very much for the answers, now i can research more on this part

If you look on the timing belt cover, it should have the engine code on there, you'll probably also have Lambda Sond on the radiator grille and if so, it's LH2.4, if not and no sign of a cat, Lambda sensor or grille badge, LH2.2. Not forgetting of course it could also be K-Jetronic.

Clifford Pope Sep 4th, 2021 12:13

According to my red Haynes the EVAP system stores vapour from the fuel tank in the charcoal filter when the engine isn't running, and burns it off through the unlet manifold at cruising speed.

It has no electrical connections and the valve works entirely by vacuum.
It was fitted on various engines from 1976 until the end of the run in 1993, including the earlier carburetted engines.
I can find no exhaustive list of why some engines got it and others didn't, but in principle any engine could have the EVAP system.

Laird Scooby Sep 4th, 2021 13:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clifford Pope (Post 2767895)
According to my red Haynes the EVAP system stores vapour from the fuel tank in the charcoal filter when the engine isn't running, and burns it off through the unlet manifold at cruising speed.

It has no electrical connections and the valve works entirely by vacuum.
It was fitted on various engines from 1976 until the end of the run in 1993, including the earlier carburetted engines.
I can find no exhaustive list of why some engines got it and others didn't, but in principle any engine could have the EVAP system.

Interesting stuff - i've got more experience on the ones controlled by the ECU which let the excess vapour in (again during cruising) while easing the normal amount of fuel metered into the engine to maintain a good mixture control.