Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   HUD or heated windscreen (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=283481)

S90 Jun 28th, 2018 16:00

Heated Screen, HUD is pointless IMHO, in a fighter jet yes, in a car??

Crockers Jun 28th, 2018 16:21

Just been told by the dealer that if I go for heated screen it will delay the car by quite a margin as Volvo have no screens (or a very small supply) hence the reason HUD is now offered as standard.

So HUD it is.

simonjedrake Jun 28th, 2018 16:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crockers (Post 2419489)
Just been told by the dealer that if I go for heated screen it will delay the car by quite a margin as Volvo have no screens (or a very small supply) hence the reason HUD is now offered as standard.

So HUD it is.

Very close poll result as well........I think the latest VOC facility for remote starts has “almost” down away with the need for heated windscreens.
I can recall a long thread on the old XC60 forum last year with many members complaining that they could see the built in wires in certain light conditions that caused them issues - maybe they also had OCD traits?

Goodshot Jun 28th, 2018 18:39

De ordered HUD in favour of heated windscreen. You could see the pattern under very few circumstances in my old Evoque and it didn't bother me at all. Use the screen heating a lot.

cassell Jun 28th, 2018 19:48

HUD every time, I find it ideal for monitoring pilot assist on motorways without having to look down at the dash display.

Remote start via VOC takes care of frosty mornings, anyone remember those after the recent weather!!

XC60 Jockey Jun 28th, 2018 21:26

I have HUD and use remote heat in the winter.

I went through the same issue and I have never regretted my decision.

StewartM Jun 28th, 2018 21:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crockers (Post 2419489)

So HUD it is.

I'm struggling to understand why Volvo have supply issues with the Ford - Triplex heated screen. Don't think Ford or JLR have issues ? ? I know the wireless one as used by VW did (does ?) have supply issues but not this one.

I am on my third car with a heated screen and wouldn't want to be without one. Don't have remote start and not too keen on a fuel burning heater. Perhaps things would be OK with a PTC Heater but Volvo don't seem to fit them in the UK any more.

OV4 Jun 28th, 2018 22:45

Heated screen every time for me.

The dealer misordered mine so that it has a heads up display instead :( Not a problem in this hot weather but I’ll miss it come winter.

Tried the heads up display but found it very irritating and a bit flickery. Have disabled it but find that it still flashes up messages sometimes so I’m going to have to cover it with electrical tape or plug the thing with cardboard. Far too distracting IMO.

Jcbrown Jun 29th, 2018 00:21

For me HUD over heated screen. I now look at the end of the bonnet for speed, sat-nav, … in my wife's car, my mothers car, my mates car, … :)

Appreciate heated screen has uses in winter. But remote start and old fashioned "going out to the car a few mins early to scrape the screen" work for me. Maybe that view will change as I get older and my health deteriorates, but for now, it is not a problem

For my wife, she hates HUD when she drives my car. Heated screen would be wasted on her, as she expects me to scrape the screen :)

lalith16 Jun 29th, 2018 01:36

For me it has to be HUD; it does what it says on the tin i.e. keeps the head up, which means fewer distractions resulting from having to look at other screens.

However, when it comes to heated windscreen you can have ‘what it says on the tin’ without actually buying or paying for the tin i.e. you can clear up the ice on the screen by preconditioning the car via VOC app’s remote start feature and VOC comes as standard with MY19 XC60 irrespective of the trim level. That way you get best of both the worlds.