Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Vibration. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=322762)

Paul240480 Jan 13th, 2022 17:24

Vibration.

2004 SE auto 170hp . It’s developed a vibration, which appears when slowing down for say, a roundabout or a junction. Coming down to about 15mph, a 3-5 second vibration which can be felt through the steering wheel and through the brake pedal. Once you stop vibration goes away and tick over is smooth. Pulling away no vibration.
Today I noticed that if stationary, putting the transmission into reverse the same vibration is there. When holding it on the brake that is…
Recent work , well September last year was a full cambelt , water pump and VVT pulley. This vibration has come in since that work, but no idea if it is connected, I think not.
Tranny has not been flushed , the car is a few hundred miles short of 150k .
Any thoughts?
TIA.

Ripmax Jan 14th, 2022 16:24

If this happens when you're under engine braking, it's likely to be the engine/gbox mounts. Which is to be expected at that mileage.

Paul240480 Jan 14th, 2022 17:29

Thanks, when my mobile mec did the cambelt , I got him to put a new top mount on, as that was well shot.
Two more I think below, one at the front and one engine to gearbox? And yes it is under engine braking.

stuart bowes Jan 14th, 2022 21:14

Two big ones underneath in middle front and back, plus gearbox torque mount, plus the one under the pulleys

Torque mount would be my first try, easiest to get off, can be repaired by wedging some rubber in the gaps just temporarily to see if it solves the problem

While still on the car it might feel solid only by taking it off can you be sure

barrybritcher Jan 15th, 2022 17:36

Warped discs

1981George Jan 17th, 2022 13:08

I'd try the engine mounts first. A few months back I'd convinced myself I had a gearbox/differential issue but it was the engine mounts.

When I got them fixed it solved another problem that I hadn't realised was related. When driving downhill and then braking, I'd get a noise/vibration. I'd had the brakes checked and everything was fine.

It turned out the engine was resting on the subframe and the vibration was passed through to the brakes.

Do you have a similar issue whilst braking when travelling down hill?

Paul240480 Jan 17th, 2022 18:57

@1981George, no only when slowing right down, it comes in I’ve noticed now from about 25mph. Also will do it if I hold it on the break and put into reverse….
Thanks.

stuart bowes Jan 17th, 2022 19:20

random question what top mount did you have fitted

just thinking if it's started since then.. I put a the poly bush in mine at first and it lasted about a week before i ripped it back out and threw it in the bin, the vibrations were awful.. they build softness into them for a good reason obviously

if he put a standard one in then fair enough but also it's making me think, you change one mount and weird effects can start happening elsewhere because the movement / slack now goes somewhere else instead. it's one of those in for a penny things, might as well do them all. definitely if you want to keep the car a while, and they're not really a major job to do. costs a few quid of course

Paul240480 Jan 18th, 2022 09:30

It was an aftermarket, but just the rubber bit. Pressed out the old and in with the new.

Paul240480 Apr 21st, 2022 16:32

All engine mounts have now been changed. The last two ‘donut’ ones under the engine done today.
Still got the vibration. Although improved a little. Driving is very very smooth now.
My mechanic reckons the vibration he can feel on tick-over is concentrated more so on the gear box end of the engine.
He reckons next port of call would be to drop the gear box oil. Said that May sort it alone, but that the torque converter could be the issue…..
Is there a filter for the auto boxes, and if yes I take that would need to be changed too?