Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   V70: Electrical Retrofit SE LUX Xenons? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=321215)

Tony Rama Nov 4th, 2021 22:51

Retrofit SE LUX Xenons?

With the nights getting longer and more night driving, I'm becoming acutely aware of my H7 halogen bulbs. So the question has arisen:

Does anyone know if it's possible to retro-fit Xenon headlights to a V70 P3 SE (with or without the corner following capability)?

If so, what's involved ie wiring, software etc?

I would be interested to know if anyone has done it and can share their experience. Tried brighter H7s but they don't hold a candle to Xenon.

Also, was there ever an LED option on the later P3s?

Tony

T5R92011 Nov 5th, 2021 01:30

I doubt it's worth the hassle. The electrical setup is different for Halogen than it is for Xenon and would also need software updates etc.

There is honestly nothing wrong with H7 halogen headlights. If your headlight output isnt very good, consider a new set of headlamp units themselves as they wear out over the years, especially as the headlights are always on in DRL mode on these cars. The reflective coating wears over time.

Also, a lot of modern volvos seem to have the beam height set very low, and can be manually raised by turning the adjusters on the back of the units. Cutoff height does make a difference in terms of how effective the headlights are.

I have mucked around with all kinds of headlight setups over the years and I always end up coming back to halogen, because they are simple and just work and dont cost a fortune when a bulb blows.

Tony Rama Nov 5th, 2021 09:42

Thanks. It's what I expected in terms of incompatibility.

I just found other posts on this, so sorry for wasting everyones time.

apersson850 Nov 5th, 2021 10:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by T5R92011 (Post 2782674)
There is honestly nothing wrong with H7 halogen headlights.

:shocked: If you compare them to Xenon or LED, you'll find that the only "little" difference is that the light output is measly.

Apart from that, I agree. It's better and much easier to add a LED ramp or similar, than trying to convince a car to have Xenon, when it didn't from the beginning.

Olaf Els Nov 5th, 2021 10:55

Have you considered fitting an LED light bar? This is what I have done on my 4x4 and it's made a massive difference to night-time visibility. I've used a relay and switch so that the light bar can come on automatically with main beam if desired.

Happy to give you a demo if you'd like.

apersson850 Nov 5th, 2021 11:13

if you want a nice install, Volvo has a switch (2007-2011) or a software solution (2012-2016) so that you can enable/disable the extra light in a way that looks "original".

Tony Rama Nov 5th, 2021 11:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olaf Els (Post 2782745)
Have you considered fitting an LED light bar? This is what I have done on my 4x4 and it's made a massive difference to night-time visibility. I've used a relay and switch so that the light bar can come on automatically with main beam if desired.

Happy to give you a demo if you'd like.

Thank you. Its the dip beam I would like a little brighter.

Tony Rama Nov 5th, 2021 11:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by apersson850 (Post 2782754)
if you want a nice install, Volvo has a switch (2007-2011) or a software solution (2012-2016) so that you can enable/disable the extra light in a way that looks "original".

Thank you. Might look into the switch for auxiliary lights. But its the dip beam that could do with a bit more light.

ferg55 Nov 5th, 2021 20:18

I picked a car with xenons when I bought my S80 as I thought they would be so much better than halogens on dipped beam, however I was dissappointed. They are very bright, until the shutter shadow line, which is very distinct and not far enough in front of the car. The contrast between the patch of light and the darkness beyond is worse in my opinion than the gentle fade-out you get with halogens, my wifes Mk6 Golf for example. I have adjusted them up to the legal MOT limit, but they are still not what I expected. I would go back to halogens next time, but I've heard even worse reports about them on P3 Volvos. :shocked:

Tannaton Nov 6th, 2021 09:31

The ABL Bi-Xenon's on P3's are fantastic, amongst some of the best headlights ever fitted to every day cars. I've had them on a 2008 XC70 and a 2015 & 2017 XC60.

If you're disappointed with the output - there's something wrong - either dirty reflectors/lens or the lamps are old, the light output does deteriorate with age as with any discharge lamp, sometimes as low as 20% of original output before total failure. www.powerbulbs.com sell compatible, branded lamps at reasonable prices and they have a compatibility checker on their website.

You cannot simply fit the Xenon lights in place of the halogens, even if you could get the beam angle correct, the electrical switching method is different between the two types and is programmed into the CEM at manufacture and cannot be latterly changed, not even by a dealer, and hence Xenon lamps installed in place of halogens (even Volvo units) tend to either flicker, pulse on and off or not work at all. It is possible to wire up a dummy load and relay and switch them from an alternative live, if you know what you're doing, but a straight swap usually doesn't work.