Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Rough engine (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=316787)

Beancounter27 May 12th, 2021 19:10

Rough engine

My MY2020 XC90 is a mild hybrid diesel model and it’s currently with a dealer who is trying to ascertain why it is so rough and vibratory when idling and moving slowly. It has done only 6k miles and runs smoothly at higher engine speeds.
Volvo’s technical support suggested slackening and re-torquing the engine mounts but that made no difference. We’re now waiting for their next suggestion so I wonder if any forum members have had a similar issue?

Computastar May 13th, 2021 08:22

1970s Soviet tractor engine

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beancounter27 (Post 2736516)
My MY2020 XC90 is a mild hybrid diesel model and it’s currently with a dealer who is trying to ascertain why it is so rough and vibratory when idling and moving slowly. It has done only 6k miles and runs smoothly at higher engine speeds.
Volvo’s technical support suggested slackening and re-torquing the engine mounts but that made no difference. We’re now waiting for their next suggestion so I wonder if any forum members have had a similar issue?

I would suggest that is just how the engine is, I have described it a 1970s soviet tractor engine, it is the weakest part of the car. I know most people find it adequate for everyday use, as do I, but it is not acceptable in car marketed at this level.

amadan May 13th, 2021 12:42

Have you test driven another car with the same engine? I’m guessing because the dealer and volvo are involved it’s not a “character trait” but as Computastar says - these engines are not smooth.

My T8 idle feels like a diesel from the drivers seat.

soupytwister May 13th, 2021 13:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by amadan (Post 2736718)
My T8 idle feels like a diesel from the drivers seat.

It sends a shiver down my spine when my T8 starts up with the engine on. You get so used to the smoothness of the electric motor, that when the engine kicks in, you can almost hear the cylinders moving around in a bag of spanners :)

Beancounter27 May 14th, 2021 20:10

Thanks for your thoughts - my dealer agrees that it’s unusually rough by comparison with other identical XC90s. Thus far they’ve eliminated engine mountings, cylinder compression and fuel injectors. Next step is apparently to check cylinder shape with a bore scope and if still no diagnosis Volvo will send an engineer to decide what to do. Interestingly my V60 diesel loan car is impressively smooth by comparison with my XC90.

Kev0607 May 15th, 2021 00:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beancounter27 (Post 2737156)
Thanks for your thoughts - my dealer agrees that it’s unusually rough by comparison with other identical XC90s. Thus far they’ve eliminated engine mountings, cylinder compression and fuel injectors. Next step is apparently to check cylinder shape with a bore scope and if still no diagnosis Volvo will send an engineer to decide what to do. Interestingly my V60 diesel loan car is impressively smooth by comparison with my XC90.

I'm assuming its still under warranty. :speechless-smiley-5