Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   200 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Washer pressure (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=325210)

Moomoo May 2nd, 2022 18:59

Washer pressure

My 240 washers are ok but I’d like to increase the flow.

Now then, I’ve a few new washer pumps from my Land Rovers . Could I put one in the pipeline and piggyback power it.

Would it work or am I being too simple?:confused_smile:

Steve 940 May 4th, 2022 11:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moomoo (Post 2822283)
My 240 washers are ok but I’d like to increase the flow.

Now then, I’ve a few new washer pumps from my Land Rovers . Could I put one in the pipeline and piggyback power it.

Would it work or am I being too simple?:confused_smile:

Hmm, interesting project, and would be something I'd be interested in, for my 940 if a workable solution is found.

I'm a bit of a newbie to all this faffing around with cars, but my initial thought would be that just putting another pump somewhere in the tubing run to the jets, would still be limited on the volume of fluid that the main washer can draw/pump out of the washer fluid reservoir?? Need someone well versed in fluid dynamics😀

I suppose the ideal solution would be if a larger main pump from perhaps a later model might fit the original bottle.

My old car Audi Allroad had great washers, but they had a design fault in that when rear screen washers got blocked (as they tend to do if not used much) they tended to blow the tubing apart at a stupidly placed joint in the tubing near the rear hatch hinge area. This then lead to fluid running down inside the rear D post where of course some very expensive electronic control modules were fitted!!! Progress eh.....

Cheers
Steve

Bugjam1999 May 4th, 2022 14:45

Hi,

A simple project actually, thanks to the way that volvo designed the system. If you look at the front of your washer fluid reservoir you’ll see two pumps clipped to the front of the bracket there, one for the front (windscreen and headlights) and one for the rear screen.

Each pump has two tubes, fluid in and fluid out, which are a simple push fit. Pull the tubes off the pump for the front, unclip it’s electrical connector and remove it from the car. Then put one of your other pumps in its place, zip tied to the bracket. Make connections to the tubes and electrical connector and that’s it.

Cheers

Moomoo May 4th, 2022 14:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugjam1999 (Post 2822591)
Hi,

A simple project actually, thanks to the way that volvo designed the system. If you look at the front of your washer fluid reservoir you’ll see two pumps clipped to the front of the bracket there, one for the front (windscreen and headlights) and one for the rear screen.

Each pump has two tubes, fluid in and fluid out, which are a simple push fit. Pull the tubes off the pump for the front, unclip it’s electrical connector and remove it from the car. Then put one of your other pumps in its place, zip tied to the bracket. Make connections to the tubes and electrical connector and that’s it.

Cheers

I have to admit I hadn’t looked. 😳

You’re right . I’ll try that.🤔

Steve 940 May 4th, 2022 15:43

Many thanks Bugjam1999

Also guilty of not actually looking at my washer reservoir/pump set up.😀

Hopefully sounds a good simple upgrade, I had assumed incorrectly the pump was integrated into the tank some way.

Will check my 940 out next time the bonnet is up.

Cheers
Steve

Moomoo May 4th, 2022 17:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugjam1999 (Post 2822591)
Hi,

Cheers

Thanks bud . It is all very accessible. A job for the weekend.😀👍

Good on ya!🍺