Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Maf sensor cleaning/replacement with after market parts (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=335721)

Teabagsofanarchy Oct 10th, 2023 10:30

Maf sensor cleaning/replacement with after market parts

So I think my car has an issue with the Maf sensor, when in built up traffic the revs drop out while idling and the engine will cut out, fortunately this doesn't happen often and never happens at speed.

I've read different things about if you clean the sensor yourself you can easily destroy it, even with using the correct aerosol cleaner so thought about getting a replacement part just in case.

But are the after market parts (going for roughly £20 on ebay) any good?

Thanks in advance

Clan Oct 10th, 2023 11:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teabagsofanarchy (Post 2917637)
So I think my car has an issue with the Maf sensor, when in built up traffic the revs drop out while idling and the engine will cut out, fortunately this doesn't happen often and never happens at speed.

I've read different things about if you clean the sensor yourself you can easily destroy it, even with using the correct aerosol cleaner so thought about getting a replacement part just in case.

But are the after market parts (going for roughly £20 on ebay) any good?

Thanks in advance

You say you have a problem with the air mass meter what makes you think that? you need to get the problem diagnosed properly rather than guess, it could be very expensive, as could "cleaning" an air mass meter.. it doesn't get dirty drawing in air filtered by the air filter. if you look at the output voltage when driving it would be more beneficial .
The cause could be all sorts of things on a 20 year old car an air leak somewhere, lambda sensors, or a seizing throttle spindle if a GDI..

Teabagsofanarchy Oct 10th, 2023 11:16

Yeah you make a good point, I suppose I was wondering if it was something you could attempt before taking it in without causing more of a headache.

Thanks for the advice

nokinnikon Dec 6th, 2023 07:53

Little trick, if you unplug the MAF sensor whilst running and engine cuts out then the MAF is working. If it runs whilst unplugged then its either and or dead/ very dirty. There is specific MAF cleaner for this.

Had this happen on mine recently, now she idles sat a rock solid 780 RPM.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Tom Sawyer Apr 27th, 2024 03:55

MAF Sensor

I hope your car is fixed by now.

My 2001 S40 (150,000 miles) was shutting off frequently - even at 60mph on the highway. It would always start right back up but a real PITA

I tried all the potential fixes below, each one made the car run a little better, but only an OEM MAF fixed the shutoff nonsense
Date Parts Labor Total
5/17/23 $0 $75 $75 3 Vacuum hoses, checked 3 check valves
7/18/23 $295 1 Air Idler Control Valve
7/18/23 $49 1 Manifold Pressure Sensor
7/18/23 $45 2 Boost Pressure Solenoid Valve
7/18/23 $51 3 Vapor Canister Purge Solenoid
8/9/23 $29 Relay – fancy fuse
8/29/23 $93 4 Thermostat, Coolant Temp Sensor
10/2/23 $238 5 Mass Air Flow Sensor

I tried cleaning and many other MAF tricks, but none worked !

It is now April 2024 and no more shut offs

Good Luck,

Tom