Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   200 Series Sales (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Stunning 240 estate (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=319022)

CosmicBike Dec 31st, 2021 19:48

Well I'm no 'old codger', but I do find it interesting to see such a wide range of prices being asked for 240's.
Current debate here is to keep or sell Grace, the '93 240 Torslanda estate, once I get her new stablemate Margo the '98 V70R sorted and on the road in a condition I am happy with. She's in for her MOT next week and aside from a bit of rust on the rear arches plus some scratches she is in great shape. I'm working the angle to keep her for my Son who has just turned 17, it's a trendy car at the moment and he'd be happy to use it.

Moomoo Dec 31st, 2021 19:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by CosmicBike (Post 2796653)
Well I'm no 'old codger', but I do find it interesting to see such a wide range of prices being asked for 240's.
Current debate here is to keep or sell Grace, the '93 240 Torslanda estate, once I get her new stablemate Margo the '98 V70R sorted and on the road in a condition I am happy with. She's in for her MOT next week and aside from a bit of rust on the rear arches plus some scratches she is in great shape. I'm working the angle to keep her for my Son who has just turned 17, it's a trendy car at the moment and he'd be happy to use it.

If it’s not causing problems to keep, I’d keep it. You must have an idea of its value. I suspect it’s better than money in the bank!
I am an old codger and the list of things I should have kept is long and varied.

Obviously you know your business better than me, just a penny worth.😀

Othen Jan 1st, 2022 05:35

Quote:

The Old Codgers were some newspaper correspondents that would answer questions posed by readers that wrote in (old fashioned paper letters) - I forget which newspaper (probably the Daily Mail or Mirror) back in the ‘60s. They were a bit before my time, but I remember my father often reading the column aloud to all within earshot.

Best wishes for a happy and prosperous 2022.

Alan

kiloran Jan 1st, 2022 10:02

Quote:

They're certainly ridiculously cool at the moment, many admiring glances in the school car park and a never-ending listing of willing 7-seat passengers. Having rear-facing children is surprisingly effective at discouraging tailgating! Hopefully I'll still have my 940 when my son reaches driving age as I think it's the only way I'll persuade him to learn to drive.

Othen Jan 1st, 2022 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Othen (Post 2795705)
Now this is an interesting one. I’d almost forgotten about Rikvdub crowing about selling his motor car at an absurdly high price, but then I saw the very same motor car advertised on eBay today:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-240...-127635-2958-0

Ho hum, it looks like the motor car wasn’t exported to the USA after all, and languishes in Hertfordshire.

:-)

PS. I’ll report back at the end of the auction to let you know whether the motor car gets any bids over the £3,500 starting price.

As promised, the auction has ended so here is the report: Rikvdub’s 240 didn’t get any bids at the opening price of £3,500, in spite of having over a hundred watchers. One would have to conclude, I believe, that the market spoken and considered the motor car interesting but worth less than £3,500.

It seems unlikely (to me) that Rikvdub will sell the motor car for £5,500 via C&C or £4,850 via Facebook now that buyers have worked out he didn’t get an offer at £3,500. We may well see it a few more times… :-)

It couldn’t have happenened to a nicer chap (apologies, that one just slipped out in a moment of weakness).

Laird Scooby Jan 1st, 2022 18:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Othen (Post 2796816)
As promised, the auction has ended so here is the report: Rikvdub’s 240 didn’t get any bids at the opening price of £3,500, in spite of having over a hundred watchers. One would have to conclude, I believe, that the market spoken and considered the motor car interesting but worth less than £3,500.

It seems unlikely (to me) that Rikvdub will sell the motor car for £5,500 via C&C or £4,850 via eBay now that buyers have worked out he didn’t get an offer at £3,500. We may well see it a few more times… :-)

It couldn’t have happenened to a nicer chap (apologies, that one just slipped out in a moment of weakness).

According to ebay, the listing was ended early due to a mistake in the listing. That happened in the last hour as i looked at it at about 58 minutes to hammer time so my guess is he knew he wasn't going to get any bids at that price and was trying to save himself a listing fee. :rolleyes:

Moomoo Jan 1st, 2022 18:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Othen (Post 2796816)

It seems unlikely (to me) that Rikvdub will sell the motor car for £5,500 via C&C or £4,850 via eBay now that buyers have worked out he didn’t get an offer at £3,500. We may well see it a few more times… :-)

Schadenfreude , I ich Glauber ! Was Kann Mann machen !, not responsible for predictive stuff!😃

Othen Jan 1st, 2022 18:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laird Scooby (Post 2796821)
According to ebay, the listing was ended early due to a mistake in the listing. That happened in the last hour as i looked at it at about 58 minutes to hammer time so my guess is he knew he wasn't going to get any bids at that price and was trying to save himself a listing fee. :rolleyes:

Ah, cunning! I hadn’t noticed that sleight of hand, I suppose it may also stop the sale being searchable as completed (and so those interested parties at C&C as well as Facebook not able to see there were no bids).

Moomoo Jan 1st, 2022 18:27

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiloran (Post 2796721)
They're certainly ridiculously cool at the moment, many admiring glances in the school car park and a never-ending listing of willing 7-seat passengers. Having rear-facing children is surprisingly effective at discouraging tailgating! Hopefully I'll still have my 940 when my son reaches driving age as I think it's the only way I'll persuade him to learn to drive.

Laughed when I saw the word cool🤣

THEN, parked outside the Co-op and a young wench pulls up beside me in a tricked up Golf and says “Cool car, love the wheels “.

COOL! Bu##er me !😎

Othen Jan 1st, 2022 19:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiloran (Post 2796721)

I wish my 17 year old son thought the RB was cool - it would save me a fortune having to run a Porsche Boxster for the school run!!!

Alan